ICOM IC-7200 and MFJ 993b not tuning with Tuner radio button.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by HJ3SUA, Dec 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. HJ3SUA

HJ3SUA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, i just received my new to me Icom IC-7200, and a MFJ993b IntelliTuner. It is my first external tuner (I use to have a borrowed TS-570d), and I build the interface cable as described in the page #9 of the instruction manual and I followed the instructions on page 33 for Icom Radio Interface.
    On the IC-7200 when I press the "tuner" button, it does not activate the MFJ tuner.
    Is something wrong?
    Thanks.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Was the radio "off" when you plugged in the tuner cable? I ran into this with my 7200 -- the radio only seems to "sense" the resistor in the cable/tuner when it is powered on.

You might power-cycle the radio to see if that fixes your problem. It's an easy thing to try. :)

W9FL likes this.
  3. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, if you plug the tuner into the radio while the radio is on, or power up the radio, and then the tuner, the radio does not recognize the tuner. This is the normal condition of the IC-7200.

Tuner must be powered up first, if not powered from the radio.

This is discussed in the IC-7200 instruction manual.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, and also doublecheck that cable.

5. HJ3SUA

I found this blog, and I found that the USB level was low, and the modulation input (data on) should be in USB.
    http://w6awd.us/blog/wsjt-x.html

And tha cable interface has a small shortcut with a cable hair between the ring and sleeve points.

Thanks for your help.

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And remember to set Mod(ulation) Data Off to "Mic," or when you want to get on phone you won't be able to do a thing (Yes, happened to me). ;)

7. HJ3SUA

Great tips.!
    Thanks.