Icom IC-718

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KB3SJV, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K7VV

K7VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Oregon

we purchased 40 of the 718's for a digital radio project and they work great. Very sturdy, easy to use. We did add an automatic antenna tuner (outboard) and that helps a lot.

de K7VV

2. KB3TGX

KB3TGX Ham Member QRZ Page

IC-718 Good to Go

The 718 was my first HF rig and is still my only HF rig...so although I have no perspective, I do have a logbook chock full of DX contacts with great 5x9 signal reports from around the globe.

I got mine off the eham classifieds for around $400 lightly used.
    I'm also using the LDG IT-100 tuner (like AE5JU above) and I've had outstanding results with this setup.

Going to pick up the West Mountain CLR speaker...have heard great things about this unit...even without it, using the RF/SQL knob, you can dial back to around the 10 O'Clock possition and eliminate a lot of the noise.

If the band conditions are good and your antenna system is doing its job, 100W out of the 718 will get you around the world easily.

Cheers! 73

3. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

When mine was working, it was fine. Don't get the 270hz CW filter. Just too narrow. The DSP was good for AM DXing. The menu isn't hard to get used to either.

4. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a IC-718 from 2006 until just recently. It sounded great back in 2006 & 2007 when the bands were still somewhat open, of course I used an external speaker.

The IC-718 I had was excellent in the frequency stability department which certainly helps if your going to run PSK31, its pretty hard to improve on perfect.

Anyway I think its a good radio.

fp :)

5. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A much better choice in that price range is the FT-450 Yaesu many years newer design with 3 times the features much better receiver also has 6m the 718 does not.
    Compare the two I think you will see what I mean specs on mfg sites and users on eham.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.