Icom IC-718 vs Elecraft K2/100

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8HMO, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD8HMO

KD8HMO Banned QRZ Page

Is the Elecraft K2 really a good deal compared to the IC-718?

K2 Transceiver $629

KPA100 100 watt option (required) $389

KSB2 SSB option $99

K160RX 160m option $39

K60XV 60m and transverter interface option $89

KNB2 noise blanker $39

KDSP2 DSP filter $229

KAF2 audio filter $79

KAT2 automatic antenna tuner $169

FDIMP finger dimple for tuning knob $6 (why no dimpled knob?)

KIO2 RS-232 interface $89

MH2 Hand mic (sold seperately??) $59 (OMG!)

Total: $1856

Icom IC 718 $600 or so including the DSP module

Someone please help me out here...

2. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it would be a draw because the Elecraft is 3.1 times as good on CW as the 718.

3. KD8HMO

KD8HMO Banned QRZ Page

I could buy an Icom IC-7000 for around $1200. That kit seems very over priced to me... For the money, they could at least put a nicer display and meter on it. My galaxy DX-959 "type accepted" cb has a much nicer meter than the Elecraft...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  4. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

As they say in the trade " you pays yer money and yer makes yer choice " or put it another way, its horses for courses.

G0GQK

5. KB3PXZ

KB3PXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 718 does have CW filters that can be purchased extra if you need them. I just use mine for SSB and am very pleased with it. I did by an LDG at100 pro tuner to go along with it. Can't really comment on the K2

6. K0DXC

K0DXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't really think he cares about the CW filters.

As for my answer... I think you should stick with the 718 just because the K2's extra features (CW and more) won't be needed by you.

It depends on how much money you have though. If you can, go for it. My 706MKIIG is always for sale to you if you want to by that also.

7. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the way you use radios the Galaxy is a much better choice, the K2 is waaay out of your league.

8. KG4LLQ

KG4LLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom 718

I've used my 718 since January 2003 & wouldn't part with it. I operate CW about 90% of the time and don't have Icom's CW filters. I use a SCAF (Switching Capacitor Audio Filter) which I built from a kit. It does an excellent job of totally eliminating nearby stations and cost less than $100. I have friends who own and operate the K2 and I know it's a very competent, advance rig--much more so than the 718. However, when you compare the two rigs, to me dollar for dollar the 718 would be very, very difficult to beat. 73, Ken

9. YC3TKM

YC3TKM Ham Member QRZ Page

718 saves more bucks

I think it depends on your budget. And your favourite operating mode. I never have one, because I hate those SMD's, but I had ever use it for some time. My friend lend me for reviewing.

For the price, that's what you get.

I use SSB most of the time, and the radio is fine, not great.
    I do love my TS-440 more for SSB.

And of course, for homebrew enthusiast, K2 offering more 'homebrew' appeal.
    For the quality and satisfaction, K2 is the choice.
    For casual ham like me, IC-718 much more preferred.
    I can save more dollars to do / buy something else to complete my station.

:):):)

73 de yc3tkm, juhar

10. N6GUS

N6GUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom 718

Before purchasing my ICOM 718 (for $540 from HRO), I studied many reviews on it. These were 95% positive and encouraging. The features which I wanted the most--as a new General Class Ham--were: 1) quality design and construction, 2) larger control panel and display screen, and finally, 3) simpler operation. Now, six months later, I feel that I got all this, and more. To complete my station, all I needed was an ICOM AH4 Antenna Tuner and a $5 piece of magnet wire. This combination has allowed me to comfortably reach Canada, the East Coast and Hawaii so far. I am now trying to figure out how to make the next jump: Europe and East Asia...with the same equipment!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.