Icom IC-718 Mic Gain

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC8RFP, Sep 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KC8RFP

KC8RFP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm trying to make my first trans on HF (10 meter) with my 718 that I finally have running with an EFHW 8010. What's frustrating me is the manual. I'm going thru the steps to set the ALC, but the manual does not state which control(s) on the radio I use to adjust the gain when I PTT, only that I need to adjust it up or down while speaking into the microphone in my normal voice. I try using the main knob, but all that does is adjust my power output.

Can anyone assist please? I'd truly appreciate it.

Grazi and 73
    John KC8RFP

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Your microphone setting and your compression setting well affect your ALC on the 718. The 718 is an excellent entry level radio and very easy to operate.
    73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

KC8RFP likes this.
  3. KC8RFP

Do you know specifically which controls I use to adjust the gain?

4. K0UO

It is in English Watch "Icom IC-718 HF Transceiver Controls and Functions - Ham Radio Q&A" on YouTube

KC8RFP likes this.
  5. KC8RFP

Already did, as well as a dozen other videos on the radio. Just generalizations, nothing giving me what I need.

6. K0UO

Look at about 3 minutes and 45 seconds he shows you exactly how to adjust the microphone

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    KC8RFP likes this.
  7. KC8RFP

Well I'll be damned, I thought that I was adjusting the power level (it showed the same number as what I set for the output power when I selected Mic Gain).

Thanks a ton, can't believe I missed that.

K0UO likes this.