Icom IC-7100

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jun 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am researching getting another radio to back up my Yaseau FT-991 (not "a" version). Who am I kidding, I just want a new toy to play with as my 991 performs flawlessly. Anyway, I am considering the Icom IC-7100. Like the 991, the 7100 is a shack in a box which I have grown to love.

I am aware of reports of low SSB output power, and I would prefer not to rehash that here. I have resolved that issue to my satisfaction by reading a lot about it and listening to others

My main question is: How is the receiver on the 7100? I can't find it in the Sherwood ranking.

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-7100 is 54 on a list of 59 transceivers listed on QST reviews. The FT-991 has a better receiver and listed at 42 on the QST performance list. But, how much receiver do you need? You will not be contesting with the IC-7100. So, even at bottom of high performance receivers, the newer transceivers are superior to lower cost transceivers manufactured 30-40 years ago. Performance is similar to a Yaesu FT-450D.

VK6APZ and KD8UEI like this.
  3. KE0LHX

KE0LHX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 7100 and I like it, I mostly use it on 2m. It has DStar which I use , it is ok as a second radio

KD8UEI likes this.
  4. KE0LHX

KE0LHX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 7100 and I like it, I mostly use it on 2m. It has DStar which I use , it is ok as a second radio

5. KD8UEI

Can you give me a citation to that ranking? I'd like to look at that list.

6. KD8UEI

I like the 7100 because it is an all-band radio. I know that is not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. The problem I'm having and why I don't just go out and buy the 7100 is that there are quite a few people pushing me to buy an IC-7300 mainly because of the receiver. And now that the IC-7300 is within $200 of the IC-7100, I'm thoroughly uncertain.

There are several reasons why I don't want the IC-7300 even though I have no doubt that it is an excellent radio. The main reason is that it is HF and 6 m only. Also, I don't really like the fact that it is an SDR. SDRs kind of destroy my notion of what a radio is. I guess I'm an analog man living in a digital world. (And, yes, I know that the IC-7100 has DSP.)

VK6APZ likes this.
  7. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

DJ0IP provides a good starting point here for the several review lists here, and is worth your while reading.

PA1HR has accumulated the ARRL late results over the years here (note the change in testing methodology in 2007).

NC0B has also tested transceiver performance over the years and maintains possibly the highest-regarded list here.

KC9ONY and KD8UEI like this.