ad: wmr-1

ICOM IC-705

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Nov 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

that's exactly what I expected but that's not what happens
    I typically have noise reduction assigned to multi knob so going into memory mode doesn't change that
    pressing and holding the multi knob (when in memory mode or not) un-assigns the NR and gives the multi knob control of RIT and not the Up and Down for memory
    pressing short on multi gives power setting
    I don't think there is any way to assign the Up and Down function to anything other than microphone buttons
    is there?

2. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure how this meme gets propagated. Possibly through some of the TX-500 discussions. I use my KX2 outdoors and on SOTA all the time. I guess if your goal is to pound in tent stakes with your radio then yes, the KX2 is not very robust.

F8WBD, GW4OKT and WN1MB like this.
  3. GW4OKT

GW4OKT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I guess the 705 would be a better for that!

4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Please tell me the IC-705 case is not made of plastic. After all the talk about "ruggedness" in the TX-500 discussions and claiming that the KX2 case was made of plastic (it's metal), then I would expect the same discussions of frailty would come up with the IC-705. But maybe that case is machined metal. I'll wait for someone to chime in.

GW4OKT likes this.
  5. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just finished my third POTA activation in the last three days with the G90 running 20 watts into a 65’ doublet. The tuner makes it possible to use this antenna which works well but has SWR up to 10:1. It's rugged, the buttons are small as is the screen and this may be a deal breaker for some. The spectrum display is very usable and helped me negotiate the thicket of signals on 40 to find a spot to make a POTA contact. I find the G90 just fun to use.
    No rig meets every op’s needs, wallet or tastes. That’s a great thing about the market. De gustibus!

N5AQM likes this.
  6. VK3PYE

VK3PYE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see any other way either. I suppose that is why it's called a "MULTI" dial, you only get what you select it for.
    If you are seeing [RIT] on the screen above [MEMO], then you have to press the "RIT" button to go back to the "Default" mode of [M-CH] for when in memory mode, [kHz] when in [VFO x] mode.
    If you have set another function to the "MULTI" dial (it turns orange), just press on the top right of the screen where the "MULTI" label is to reset it to default.
    Fun little radio.
    Cheers -- Pete VK3PYE

7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

According to the advanced manaul:
    There are 3 ways to select a Memory channel. • Selecting with •multi, Selecting on the MEMORY screen • Selecting using the keypad (Basic Manual)

VK3PYE likes this.
  8. ZS1SBW

ZS1SBW QRZ Lifetime Member #505 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

9. NN6D

NN6D Ham Member QRZ Page

yes, My bad after all
    it was as simple as turning off RIT with a button below the multi knob
    multi knob can then do up and down when in memory mode after unassigning the orange function
    RIT should turn off automatically when going to memory mode in my opinion but that's another story
    There are multiple things competing for assignment to the multi knob so it gets a bit confusing
    RIT is one of those things that's not used much in radios with a vfo knob but it remains prevalent in some designs (yaesu 991A)
    ok problem solved :)

VK3PYE likes this.
  10. WB3EYB

WB3EYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was in the same boat. Have and love both the KX2 and KX3. However, last year I sold my main HF Flex 6400M in preparation for the release of the K4. Given the production delays, I broke down and bought an IC-7300 to hold me over until the K4 ships. After using the 7300 user interface, which I find wonderful, I am considering selling off my KX2 and and picking up a 705 to partner with my KX3. Between my V-86 handheld and my new 7300, I am quickly becoming an Icom guy. Elecraft will always be my first love, but Icom is now a close 2nd (better Icom QSK and it may be much closer).

ZS1SBW likes this.
  11. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I want a weather resistant case for the radio and a raspberry pi (throwing The idea out)

12. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there are hobbyist for hire on thing universe. You will likely have to provide a lot more direction, such as: dimensions, ports, how to access the touch screen, and buttons.

What's the RPI do?

13. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

pi’s do a lot .. most notable run fldigi.

14. HC4Z

HC4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Ecelente 73 HC4Z