ad: Schulman-1

ICOM IC-705 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jan 13, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE2TH

VE2TH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Merci Pascal pour cet excellent vidéo, et toutes les bonnes explications.
    Cette année j'entreprends ma 58ième année de radio amateur, toujours en QRP et rien d'autre.

La tentation est forte!!!! Hi! Hi!

En passant, Pascal, on peut retrouver le manuel en français sur le site de ICOM France
    J'aime toujours lire le manuel avant de faire un choix d'appareil.

Si tu fais une 2ième partie de ton vidéo, tu pourras informer les gens que le manuel est disponible en plusieurs langues.,
    Anglais, Français, Italien, Espagnol, Allemand.

Instruction Manual / Guides | Support | Icom Inc. (icomjapan.com)

Voilà,

Merci encore

Michel VE2TH Le QR' piste, »(THE QRP'ER)

VA2PV and M1WML like this.
  2. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

désolé que votre radio ait mal fonctionné, mais elle est sous garantie. Je ne sais pas si ce problème est survenu avec le 7300.

M1WML likes this.
  3. F1HCN

F1HCN Ham Member QRZ Page

aucun problème sur le 7300 et le 9700 .

M1WML likes this.
  4. KC3MIO

c'est bon à savoir, mais vous avez toujours un problème avec votre radio. bonne chance.
    je devrais vraiment apprendre un peu de français, au lieu d'utiliser Google Translate. peut-être cette année.

M1WML likes this.
  5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

You are totally missing the point. Ham radio is not just about breaking a pileup. It may be for you and there is nothing wrong with doing so.

It does not take a lot of skill to run 1500 watts into massive amounts of aluminum high in the air to break a pileup. The only skill in that is getting enough money together to do so.

Ham radio is much more than that.

What about the 14 year old with a news paper route, saving his coins, just to be able to buy his first radio? Is he not a ham? How about the young person saving his lunch money to buy a used Youkit and make a simple dipole?

"Life is too short for QRP?". I am 72 years old and I am running out of sand in my hour glass.
    I look forward to the summer months when I can set up portable QRP in the park.
    I own two home brew 1500 watt amps, that I made, and have not turned either on in months.

Barry, KU3X/QRP

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    M6WRB, W9CO, AA1BG and 8 others like this.
  6. N7RF

N7RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I'm not mistaken, the HPA bias during transmit is the same regardless of where you set the RF drive power. In a 100W radio running class A/AB, it's going to draw substantially more DC current when set to 5W than a rig that maxes out at 10W. Definitely impacts battery life when you're portable.

M1WML likes this.
  7. W0TRS

W0TRS Ham Member QRZ Page

I myself am with w6uxb in saying where does this 90% come from..I got into ham radio in 2012/13 and my first one was a Yaesu 817nd..I have never needed or wanted an amp for it..Have I pulled my hair out over a missed contact..yep sure have but all qrpers do at on time or another..I have a Yaesu 818 now and have twice made a JA contact with it and nothing more then my Buddipole from inside my living room..I have contacts from all over the world on my 817 and 818..It has nothing to do with power it has to do with brains and antenna..Can power help at times yep but useing my brain is is the only real power I need..I run 160-440 and Dont think twice if a band is opened...Brain power > with Amp power :D

M1WML, G3SEA and KU3X like this.
  8. KV3I

KV3I Ham Member QRZ Page

I am just getting started and I picked up an IC-705 as my first HF rig. I'm running a 160ft long EFHW through my house (literally) as a temporary "get on the air" antenna, and I just started seeing what I could do with the 10w max. I sent two or three WSPR packets and made it to Germany, Canada, and the entire US including Hawaii. I was able to have a QSO over FT-8 to Arizona (I'm East of the continental divide in CO) for my first contact. I love this radio. Are there times when I would like to have an amp? Yes, and I'll get one, but for the most part I'm finding out that 10w is plenty, especially digital and/or CW. I run off of a 20 amp-hour battery, and so far it hasn't needed a single recharge. Back to my CW lessons!

Justin

VA3CJO, M1WML, G3SEA and 2 others like this.
  9. KC3MIO

I think that QRPers are treated like the vegetarians of ham radio. It’s just a matter of taste, but QRP lets you run your radio from a battery or solar panel, out in the park or on a trail, with low noise. I can put a whole station in a backpack. The radios are simpler and smaller (but not always cheaper). I don’t think most QRP ops are using amps, although Elecraft has designed systems where the low power rigs can be plugged into a 100 or 1500 watt amp and used at home.
    I always think in dB - 100 watts is 13 dB or two S units over 5 watts. Fifteen hundred watts is 25 dB or about four S units over the QRP rig. So, if your legal limit rig is “30 over S9”, my QRP rig will be 5 over. With QRP, your signal may not be able to get through, or you have to ride the QSB to a peak to get through. I call that fun, and I get a lot of satisfaction from it.

W0TRS, AA1BG, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  10. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

........and that is exactly how you have to look at it....in DB's.

So instead of S9, maybe you are S7. Is that so bad? Not to me.

Barry

M6WRB, M1WML and K0UO like this.
  11. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use my Brain Power so I know that if I run QRO I won't spend all day making three QSO's but a page full & I much prefer the page full.I have a lot of QSL Cards I need to get rid of so I need the QSO's that makes it possible.I was taught to work Smart so it does not require a lot of Hard work but it achieves a great amount of success.:cool::p;)

Clayton
    W4KVW

W9FL, KU3X, AA1BG and 1 other person like this.
  12. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But it might be bad if the other guy has an S9 noise floor which is unfortunately the norm nowadays.

M6WRB, M1WML and WD4ELG like this.
  13. KC3MIO

Yes, of course, you have to assess conditions. QRP QSOs may not be possible when QRO can get through. But it is more likely that (a) no power level will get through or (b) QRP and QRO can both get through. QRM, QRN and QSB are probably more difficult to overcome. Pileups can be tough to break, but if you listen and analyze the pattern you may catch a lull, and you can make a contact. The patience of the other op is very important, too. The tactics you learn with QRP operation are useful at any power level.

M6WRB, M1WML, WD4ELG and 6 others like this.
  14. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a key point. Today on 20 meters FT8, with my hex beam, I was being heard with 50 watts in JA-land. But when I tried to answer several CQ's from JA stations, no response. So I fired up the amp at sent at 500 watts. Got an immediate response with SNR -10. Now there is no way that the JA station could not have heard me at 50 watts if his report was -10 at 500 watts...unless....he had high local noise.

Same exact thing happened 20 minutes later...station in Ecuador calling CQ for 10 minutes. I responded for 10 minutes... first on his frequency, then on a clear frequency in the passband. Nothing. Then I added the amp and he came back immediately with -8 report. Probably the same situation.

Needless to say, this does not give me hope for the peak of the next sunspot cycle. Regardless of how many spots there are, it won't matter if the DX station has a plethora of noise-making devices on his end (neighbors, utilities, etc.).

Somehow we need something that cuts through high noise.

M1WML likes this.
  15. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page