ad: ProAudio-1

Icom IC-705, IC-7300 and IC-9700 Waterfall Setup for Weak Signals

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Oct 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. EA6VY

EA6VY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ThanX for such good tips !!

2. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the comments. Glad that it's helped some here.

3. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as the entire receive chain remains within its dynamic range (no overload and RF noise higher than noise floor of RX) it makes no difference.
    Reading all responses to this video makes me realize a two things:
    • Many hams don't read manuals
    • Many hams seem to fear playing with their radios and change settings to see what they accomplish.

W8LGZ likes this.
  4. WA1KPD

WA1KPD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent, thank you very much for both videos!

5. BH4LLP

BH4LLP Ham Member QRZ Page

ThanX for such good tips !!

6. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You state the obvious which really isn't saying much... Of course, an operator is going to optimize their settings so their RX is above the noise-floor if possible. Furthermore, if it truly "makes no difference... " then there wouldn't be a REF option on Menu <2> in the first place. I'm always using it and know exactly what it does and fear no aspect of my radio, and that's including the manual. There are times you want to be able to see the weaker signals a bit more clearly, or diminish the footprint of stronger nearby signals without adjusting the RFG once it and other settings are optimally set. It is no different than adjusting the "contrast" button/knob on your old CRT tube screen or using the contrast or brightness feature in your phot0 editing software. It even says as much on pg./section 5-5 of the IC-7300 Full Reference Manual.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    W8LGZ likes this.
  7. CX5CDV

CX5CDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Mal lo mio,logre el color Limon amarillo nada mas,a pesar de tener el 7300 hace 1 año,me cuesta tocarlo o maniobrar con el,de todos modos gracias.
    mis un gran equipo,pero tengo que aprender mucho su configuracion,saludos desde Uruguay.-

8. HL2INJ

HL2INJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Korean amateur building

9. VK4DCM

VK4DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know how to reduce the spectrum scope lines {height it a waste of space on the screen.

10. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're asking about the 7300, then I'm pretty sure the answer is that you are not able to reduce the number of lines on the spectrum scope grid. You can reduce the size of it proportionally by pressing the "M.Scope" hard-button under the color display which then gives more room for other features like the swr/alc/comp bar displays (press and hold the bar display above the spectrum display after activating the mini-scope to see bars) but as far as I can see, there is no option to modify the grid.