ad: vanity

ICOM IC-705 Feature Walk-Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Sep 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice idea but the SOTA rules would preclude the use of a mechanical conveyances.

3.7.1 Criteria for a valid Expedition
    For an expedition to be considered valid, the following criteria must be met:
    "skipped content"
    5. All equipment must be carried to the site by the Activation team.
    :(:rolleyes:

2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

At least one ham uses animals (WG0AT uses goats, I think others use horses). Bicycles are considered acceptable. So, would a homebrewed robot be considered different than animals or bikes?

That said, one could use the robot to get the gear mostly to the summit, then walk it from there, just like a drive-up summit.

Chris

K0UO likes this.
  3. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually a FT-891 and those light Bio Energy LI-Iron Battery I can still manage to carry. G90 at 20 Watts is lighter yet however. I tend to keep the 891 in the Truck but its only 2 mins to get it out and carry it via the Tac-Comm case it is mounted in and reattach the remote-able face plate.

WA2LXB likes this.
  4. VE3GCX

I think the difference would be human powered rather than self-powered.

5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s why you build a robotic pack mule with a human brain! You’ve got to think outside the box, dude. :cool:

6. VE3GCX

Are you volunteering to be the test subject ;)

7. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

A human brain in a robotic body? That means someone is thinking inside a box, would you not agree?

WA2LXB likes this.
  8. N0KEW

N0KEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice job icom! I dig this one.

K8HIT likes this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the issue is Motorized, not human powered on Sota. Horse, Mules , Goats, Donkeys as pack mules fine; and actually in the "Spirt" of the Frontier!

Drive your truck up to the SOTA; Ya gota carry that stuff to the Shelter X number of yards away. So a Robot would need to be parked away and they walk to the Sota just as described before in a previous post.

Art

10. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. “Get off my frequency. You have 10 seconds to comply.”

BE4F548A-A2BD-48CD-A443-64FC4DA8E702.jpeg

WA2LXB likes this.