ad: ProAudio-1

ICOM IC-705 Feature Walk-Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Sep 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. Just my sometimes warped imagination. Never watched Family Guy.

2. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just received my tracking number from HRO. I'll have my IC-705 in the morning.

KK6ZHJ and US7IGN like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

$1,299.95 now at MTC

4. K7ZOV

K7ZOV Ham Member QRZ Page

Flame suite on.... New IC-7300 average $1,000. New Xiegu G90 $450. Total $1,450. OK a bit over the $1,300 for the IC-705, however both have ATU's, and you have two radios. Preowned IC-7300 averaging about $750. New G90 $450. Total for both radios $1,200.. If the G90 is preowned then figure maybe a total of $1,100. Cute radio. Nice features. Limited power output and high price to pay for Bling and Sexy display in a small box.

WN1MB likes this.
  5. KD2LFG

KD2LFG Ham Member QRZ Page

If I get the IC 705, I will probably use my Elecraft tuner (about as big as a cigarette pack) if I need to tune something. However, my HYENDFED QRP antenna is resonate on all the HAM frequencies and no tuner is required. Now the sad part. For whatever reason, HYENDFED does not make this great little QRP antenna anymore and I don't know why.

6. KD2LFG

I also use a G90 and carry my FT3D for VHF/UHF. Since my area uses C4FM and wires X a lot on local repeaters, the FT3D is a no brainer. I also use the FT3D to connect wires x back to my PDN base station. Something the IC 705 would not be able to do. I do like the feature set of the IC 705 and the ability to do digital with one USB is attractive.

7. KD2LFG

There is a maxim that the lower the tech a society is, the more resilient the society. Primitive, pastoral cultures can recover from a disaster much quicker than high tech societies. A rural community can feed and take care of itself much easier than those in a central urban area.

K1ABA and K8XG like this.
  8. KD2LFG

That's my combo. I have a FT 891 built as a manpack with a SCU-17, 10 AMP lithium battery and even a SDR switch with a raspberry pi. I bring along a powerfilm solar panel if I need extra power. Along with the FT3D, I pretty much have it covered. If I want to go lighter, I grab the G90 instead of the FT 891. All are man portable.

US7IGN likes this.
  9. W1VKE

W1VKE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am new to ham radio compared to almost every one here. I have a Yaseu Ft950 that I use a lot less compared to my Yaseu Ft818. Maybe it is because I am an introvert, but I really enjoy the challenge of QRP. I am by no means an electrician expert nor do I know how to make my own antennas. I do really enjoy having fun with ham radio and I respect all the rules and etiquette.
    I plan on getting an IC705 as soon as I can afford to. People will say that this can’t be a beginners rig or a person’s only rig, but I think it totally depends on the person and what their goals are in the hobby. I believe that a person can use this as their only radio if they have an absolute handle on what their goals are and they have patience.

K1BQY and US7IGN like this.
  10. KD2LFG

I now have an IC 705 on order, even though it did stretch the budget a little. I have a IC 7300 and I am familiar with Icom's way of doing things. The big advantage of the IC 705 is its ease of digital use with only one USB and also a built in GPS for FT8 and JS8. This simplifies thing quite a bit when going both portable and digital. All you will need is one USB cable and a small tablet. My other radios require a rat's nest of wires between interfaces, PTT, ect...

W1VKE likes this.