ad: M2Ant-1

ICOM IC-705 Feature Walk-Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Sep 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8PEM

N8PEM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What this hobby needs the most are building a community and providing Elmer support for all hams. Kudos to anyone trying to do either. We don’t have to agree, but contrasting opinions are more helpful if we can drop the snark. After all Josh just demo’ed a radio folks.....

KI6NAZ likes this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, We found out because he was telling us all about it of Sunday coffee. Real problem is so many are so dependent on the tech they cannot handle anything when it goes away. This is happening everywhere now. Just imagine if the lights do go out and stay out for a period of time. People will go nuts.

K8XG likes this.
  3. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

We had a taste of that back in 1998 when there a was an Ice Storm ( heavy Freezing Rain). 60mm of ice fell (2.6 inches) in a day. It almost wiped Montreal off the map. Besides the local damage due trees coming down 4 of the 5 five transmission lines that feed the city were taken down, roads were impassable, roofs collapsed from the weight . A fortunate few didn't loose power at all. (very few) Some of the out lying areas took 2 months to get power back. The cleanup took even longer.
    My parents lost power for 2 weeks as did my house in eastern Ontario. People were going nuts not having their expensive take out coffee, no hot showers, no internet, no video games. Fortunately both they and I had fireplace inserts and wood stoves.
    For those heavily dependent on technology in was like the end of the world had come.
    There also the examples of Puerto Rico and New Orleans. smaller cities seem to be more resilient. Imagine if NYC or Los Angeles were to loose power for a month.

Graham

4. AE0W

AE0W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm OK with no tuner, I can use an external one. I didn't see an ALC connection on the 705. I wonder if you could interface it with a small RF Amp like the KPA 100.

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Real men pack a 100W rig and the car battery up to SOTA activations. ;)

KI5AAI, WA2LXB and WW2PT like this.
  6. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

didn't take long for the accessories to come out:

[​IMG]

7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Between using the wrong antenna (with a tuner!) and now being told I need to tote a "base station" and car battery for SOTA, I'm just going to give up and go back to CB. At least there the truckers aren't so demanding. :(

:p:D

Chris

WA2LXB, AC0GT and WW2PT like this.
  8. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Uphill, both ways.

WA2LXB and K8XG like this.
  9. WW2PT

A real ham wouldn’t go back to CB. He’d homebrew a robotic pack mule to haul the rig and battery up to the summit. :D

WN1MB likes this.
  10. KI4POT

Actually a "real ham" couldn't go "back" to CB because they were never there to begin with! :D

Chris

WN1MB likes this.
  11. VE3GCX

Nice idea but the SOTA rules would preclude the use of a mechanical conveyances.

3.7.1 Criteria for a valid Expedition
    For an expedition to be considered valid, the following criteria must be met:
    "skipped content"
    5. All equipment must be carried to the site by the Activation team.
    :(:rolleyes:

12. KI4POT

At least one ham uses animals (WG0AT uses goats, I think others use horses). Bicycles are considered acceptable. So, would a homebrewed robot be considered different than animals or bikes?

That said, one could use the robot to get the gear mostly to the summit, then walk it from there, just like a drive-up summit.

Chris

K0UO likes this.
  13. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually a FT-891 and those light Bio Energy LI-Iron Battery I can still manage to carry. G90 at 20 Watts is lighter yet however. I tend to keep the 891 in the Truck but its only 2 mins to get it out and carry it via the Tac-Comm case it is mounted in and reattach the remote-able face plate.

WA2LXB likes this.
  14. VE3GCX

I think the difference would be human powered rather than self-powered.

15. WW2PT

That’s why you build a robotic pack mule with a human brain! You’ve got to think outside the box, dude. :cool: