ad: wmr-1

ICOM IC-705: A slightly different perspective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally agree with all your points! Folks get goo-goo-eyed over novel features when tried-and-true tech is rarely going to let you down.

2. WA2DII

WA2DII XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice Radio , BUT , Bad Timing On Icoms Part . The Bands Are At Their Worst For QRP , Which I Operate Also . Ten Watts Is Not Going To Cut It Now ! So Expect Fue Contects . I'm
    Sure The Price Will Be Out Of This World !! Wonder How Many Rigs Icom Will Sell ? Time Will Tell. Don't Get Me Wrong , I Love QRP , But It's Tuff Now . 73's

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this radio will sell well, and will sell to the segment intended. I hear what you are saying about wet, grimy and harsh. I don't think they had this in mind when the design of this radio was laid out. More like, primped, coddled and POTA ( like me ) and not SOTA. You would be nuts to take this up a big summit, and it certainly can't get wet with some drizzle up there like an 817 can. I am sure someone will come up with some nifty plastic convers for it...but is certainly more of a park bench radio, just like in their promo vids.

KO4ESA, K7GYB and K3SZ like this.
  4. K0GMK

K0GMK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My Icom id-51a Plus has weather alert built in and my Icom ic-T70HD has weather reception built in as well. My Yaesu FT-818nd will tune all VHF NWS weather radio stations. All of those radios are portable.

73 de KØGMK

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@K0GMK ..Interesting, my FT-818ND does not cover the 162Mhz NWS WX frequencies, are they different in your area?

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good overview Julian. I watch all of your videos and get something out of each one of them.

I am on the list for one of these.

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope. Now is Kenwood's turn. :D

KO4ESA, K8PG and KD2GIY like this.
  8. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't be an early adopter, I did that with the 9700. I think this will be another Barn Burner radio. I will be available for one of these that might pop up on the used market after the bloom is off the rose. It will be fun to tinker with.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

KO4ESA, UT7UX, K7GYB and 2 others like this.
  9. K0GMK

K0GMK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whoops. My mistake. The FT-818nd will NOT tune the 162Mhz frequencies. Apologies.

73 de KØGMK

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey no worries, though I was perhaps missing out on really useful mod ...

KO4ESA likes this.
  11. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

100 watt version??

KO4ESA likes this.
  12. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Depending upon your preference, that would either be the Yaesu FT-991A or the combination of the IC-7300 and IC-9700.

I am fairly sure that a 100w radio of this size and band capabilities would melt.

KO4ESA and K9GLS like this.
  13. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I would expect a 100 watt version to be closer in size to an Icom 7300, but still do the multi-bands.

KO4ESA likes this.
  14. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FT-991A is pretty much what you are describing. It is better in some ways and worse in others than the 7300. I would call it a wash, but where I live the 991A's better noise reduction makes it a clear choice.

Of course, for anyone who insists on only buying a single corporate brand this information is useless.

KO4ESA and K2HAT like this.
  15. N2VIP

N2VIP Ham Member QRZ Page

KO4ESA likes this.