Icom IC-2820 missing a mic setting?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by G0FEA, Jan 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. G0FEA

G0FEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, I have an Icom IC-2820 which works fine with my hands free boom mic in the car. A simple up down button and PTT.However when I plug in the supplied fist mic with DTMF keys it lights up, the LEDs function but the radio does nothing. I've tried a replacement mic and cables with the same result. Question is has anyone else found this and what was the solution. Am I missing a simple menu setting. The book has nothing listed.

Thanks
    Keith - G0FEA

2. NS3L

NS3L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe a stupid question, but did you inadvertently lock the radio? If you have the lock key showing on the right side of screen you either need to press and hold the power button on the control head, or plug the HM-133 in and press and hold the VFO/Lock button til it unlocks.

Otherwise I would suspect a bad cable or problem in the mic connector.

Steve NS3L

3. G0FEA

G0FEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply. No it’s not locked. The mic connector works fine with the boom mic just not with either of the fist mics. Very strange.

4. PY2YYZ

PY2YYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm facing exactly same problem right now... some answer?

5. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe a setting in the radio, with the yaesu 897 and 857 I have I have to set which mic I use either the std MH-31 mic or the DTMF MH-59

6. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know of any setting like that, except for the Mic Sensitivity to High or Low.
    There is also the ALC setting, but not sure that would be involved here.

The issue I had with mine was that one day it would not transmit. Someone in the
    IC-2820H Yahoo Group told me to take apart the mic and clean the micro switch.
    That worked for me. Unfortunately, the Yahoo Groups have disappeared. I think
    there was a website that had a picture of the inside of the mic showing what needed
    to be cleaned.

Fernando - have you tried a different mic and cable or what exactly have you
    done to troubleshoot? The other thing to try is cleaning the connections where
    the cable goes into the mic and into the radio.

7. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Found the link I was referring to about cleaning the micro switch.
    http://www.directdirt.com/2015/01/repair-icom-hm-133-ptt-switch/
    Well, actually he replaced the switch, but good pictures of taking it apart.
    I used some isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip on the switch button.