ICOM IC-2200H, w/HM-133V, locks up in medium & high power

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N1ZR, Apr 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1ZR

N1ZR Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m programming in area repeaters on a NOS IC-2200H. Rig is new to me, but purchased used. Problem: Rig locks up in transmit when switched into mid and high power levels. Low power is fine.

Audio reports come back as fine in all three power levels even when locked in transmit.

DC power is fine, no drop in transmit. Also, use of alternative mikes (lashed up) reveals no lock up in higher power levels, but poorer audio quality.

Is there history of this problem with this mike? What alternative mike delivers comparable good audio; I really don’t need the HM-133V’s keypad whiz. Advice welcome.

TNX, N1ZR

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom microphones have a history of cable issues that usually involve the outer jacket, yet also can include the inner PVC insulation. You may want to see if someone has an older HM-95 microphone after checking for compatibility with the 2200. I have an IC-2000 that I consider to be worth parts only- the main power switch has seldom been working correctly; the display has been repaired, and the modular connector on the HM-95 has a broken plastic clip. Further, it appears that the case screws for the HM-95 are rusty. Based on what others have said about Icom microphones for the IC-2000, you may find the cord ( if ordered or replaced by Icom ) to be the problem- yet that does seem to match the symptoms you describe. Since the problem goes away with other microphones, you might check first to see if Icom sells a newer version of the complete assembly. Power level problems sometimes occur if the supply voltage to the rig ( and then the microphone by connection ) finds too much resistance ( limiting current ) in the main cabling or fuse holders. Some folks would advise just one fuse holder on the 'hot' lead, rather than 2.

3. N1ZR

N1ZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding Icom IC-2200 and HM-133V mike issues. Thanks for your thoughts regarding my power level problems using this mike. I’m overall unimpressed with the feel of this mike, regardless of its many functions.
    Do you know if the HM-148G works on the IC-2200? It strikes me as being of industrial strength, and simplicity is all I want.