Icom FR-3000 VHF Repeater Help Needed

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KI4ZNV, Jun 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KI4ZNV

KI4ZNV Ham Member QRZ Page

Our club recently got an FR-3000 donated to it, and I found the software and the service and owner's manuals and made up a programming cable from a schematic on a dodgy website, but I really have no idea what most of the settings on this thing are and I am having real trouble setting up the ID.

I can make it ID every ten minutes unattended, and I can make it ID at the end of every transmission, but I can't make it ID at the end of a transmission when ten minutes has passed since the last ID. There are a bunch of timers on this but I don't have any manual which explains them all. So if anyone has used this for ham applications, I would really like to talk to you.

The public service folks who had it before bought it in 2006 and never actually installed it anywhere... it sat in a box for 14 years at their tower site and then they got a trunked system anyway, so we don't have anyone there who can tell us about configuration.

Does anyone have a configuration guide, or a sample ham repeater configuration, or just some understanding of how the timers on the controller work?

2. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

never messed with one, but it should have a 25 pin connector on the back for hooking it up to an external controller. that is what I would honestly do. and let the external controller deal with ID and such. and ID O'matic would work for that and its about 40 bucks.

3. KI4ZNV

KI4ZNV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not THAT far gone yet but that may be what I'll wind up doing.
    --scott

4. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found it just easier honestly. set repeater as a base station and use external control. and I have used a id o matic before they are cheap and they do work but don't have fancy stuff like a scom or arcom. id o matic is just ptt,cos,audio in/out. but it works and it is less then the pain in the arse in dealing with settings in some of the repeater internal controls.