ad: ProAudio-1

Icom CI-V on PCB

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W4INF, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I finally got it! For years which I lost count, Ive wanted to make my own PCB! So, I took the original CI-V project that I did, laid it out on Pad2Pad, got everything sized right, printed it on HP glossy inkjet photo paper in my laserjet (this was an adventure, went to WalMart at 12:30am just for the paper, but I also got tiny Dremel drill bits!), ironed it onto the blank PCBs I got in the mail today while I was at work, soaked the board and paper in boiling hot water for 10 min, cleaned up the board, etched it, acetoned the toner off, washed it and finally... drilled it. NOW, I can start putting parts on.

This is the FIRST ever PCB I made! I cannot take credit for the circuit, I didnt design it, only the board.

Enjoy-
    Andrew

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the layout. Import into Microsoft Publisher, flip horizontal, and size to 32% for a 1:1 printout.
    The square pads indicate (-) side of component.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

I like that board - I've been trying to "get around to it" and do the board layout for that circuit myself - what size is the actual board at full size? That will help me make sure all components fit.

You have very clean etching with neat traces - looks good. Those small thru holes sure are fun to drill aren't they? {grinning}

I've also got a MAX232 chip I've been wanting to build a digital interface with - just too many plans, and not enough days {grinning}

73 de Ken H.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  3. W4INF

Thanks, it was an adventure getting what I had, and Im not 100% happy with it. Id still like better traces, looking into that now. Ive read on the famous Enternet that a glossy magazine page works wonders to do the toner transfer. BS. Traces that are transferred are faint. Then I found that using inkjet glossy photo paper works really good, the results looked great... so I went to WallyWorld at midnight to get some, and sure enough... works great! I however think need to work on the heat transfer, the fusing process. This board had 3 min of iron time, plus about a minute on the rolling pin with the iron, then about a minute of heat with the iron and no weight applied. It was the best transfer Ive had to date. Ill figure it out soon! I know if I did the photoresist method Id get better results but its not quite as 'quick n easy'.

1 3/4" X 3" is the board size.

No, the small holes was no fun, tiny bit chucked into cordless hand drill make it even less fun.

Andrew

4. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Andrew, you did very good, but I do have one question - please do not take offense. It might be a dumb question on my part because I can't see the answer... but why did you route the trace direct from the 10µF Tantalum capacitor drive to the 1N914 diode - (sorta thru the 10K text) rather than the round about way the trace is routed?

I'm sure there was a reason, but darn it, I just don't see it right now.

73 de Ken H>

5. W4INF

Ken, I see now... Yup, I could have done it that way and it would have been a lot cleaner. Ill fix that in Rev 1.2! HA HA!

Thanks for viewing-
    Andrew

6. W4INF

PCB R1.3 is available if anyone wants it.. Thicker pads for components, much thicker pads for wire and thicker traces for better etch. Text is larger. Run from 10uf cap has been moved as suggested by K9FV/Ken. Also, print is 50% cleaner on edges, image is now 600 DPI!!

http://rogertango.com/pcb/

Cheers,
    Andrew

7. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks good Andrew - I downloaded it and replaced the earlier version. I do plan to build another of those using your PCB - I've got all the parts.

73 de Ken H.

8. W4INF

9. W4INF

R2.0 is out and ready to download, reduction in size and the wire jumper JP1 has been eliminated by adding a trace.

[​IMG]

73s-
    Andrew

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  10. W4INF

R2.1 is out and ready to download, more reduction in size. This is likely going to be the last revision unless there is a trace error.

[​IMG]

73s-
    Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.