Icom 9700 Poor D-Star Audio

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by WA7BFN, Jan 5, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7BFN

WA7BFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me preface my comment. I've been in the broadcast industry for many years and do voiceover work both from my home studio and larger studio settings. I've always been attuned to the "sound and process of produced audio.

I've been using a Icom 5100 as a base station since it first came out. Great radio ...When the 9700 was introduced it looked to me to be a natural upgrade to the shack with Satellite, 1296, Web interface etc.. So I decided to spring for the unit...

I run various nets on D-star as a NCS and have now gotten comments of "what did you do to your audio"? So a little investigation ensued with the following findings. Upon closer listening to others with 9700 's and comparative listening on ID51A / Kenwoods etc. in both transmit and receive the 9700 produces this peculiar nasal sounding audio regardless of the settings of the internal EQ and microphones used.
    i.e. Stock Mic/ Heil/Bheringer and shure. The FM analog audio is GREAT sounding. In comparing the audio of the ID51A/5100/Kenwood all produced, in my opinion a more superior sound.

When I did a RECORD/TXT of the Audio on the 9700, the local playback is great sounding as it should be but in the vocoder process to D-Star the 9700 produces this NASAL ugly audio in the transmission. Something has changed has changed.

OP/ED
    My opinion... I Love D-Star!! it's a great mode...However The 9700's audio at this point is a poor representative of what D-Star has and in other models continues to sound like. D-Star is not cheap and while this observation may seem trivial to some, the 9700 could be the "bright and shining star" in the D-Star lineup. Icom's on the right track...A Little TWEAKING Please to make it almost Perfect.
    WA7BFN
    Duff
    Spokane, WA