ad: vanity

ICOM 7610 CI-V / CAT Remote interface Question

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W9KEY, Oct 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is most likely a dumb question - BUT I have searched for the answer, so far without success.....

I have an Icom 7610. Have successfully interfaced it to WSJT-X, which works fine. Have also successfully interfaced it to Amateur Contact Log, allowing ACL to poll radio data - it works fine, too.

But what I can't figure out is how to get BOTH of them talking to the 7610 at the SAME time. Icom's newest Comm port driver (as reported in Win 10 Device Manager) installs 2 ports, which in my case show as Comm 7 & 8. WSJT-X and ACL both recognize both ports, but will only talk to the radio using Comm 7. Neither will work via Comm 8 - which Icom Tech Support says is "normal". So in spite of having two front mount USB ports, one each USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 rear ports - it seems only one is available for any type of rig interface, which is pretty annoying.

I've found vague reference on-line that in order to have both WSJT-X and Amateur Contact Log talking to the rig at the same time, I might have to use the old legacy Icom CI-V Remote interface linked to ACL - which seems to be a 3.5 mm mini-plug connection on back of the radio. Icom has a manual covering CI-V interface protocol commands, but I've not found what hardware interface / drivers might be required to get it talking to a Win 10 PC (where I'm guessing it might show up as yet another Comm port - but maybe not??).

Below reply from Icom probably contains all the clues I need - but I'm just not smart enough to figure out what they are. Is there some old ICOM REMOTE cable / interface that I need?:

A quick explanation of the the COM Ports. There are two COM ports when the radio is connected to a PC using USB1. The first one is for CI-V/CAT control of the radio, and the second is for RTTY/FSK/PTT. This is why COM8 on your radio appears dead. The second USB port (USB2) is a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed port for I/Q connectivity (for HDSDR) only.

Generally COM ports cannot be shared between two applications. The first app will acquire the COM port and will not share it with other app's. This is normal. There are workarounds available on the Net. Though in your case you might be able to use both the USB, and REMOTE connections to allow your software packages to run concurrently. Again plenty of resources on the Net on how to do that.

Anyway - All I'm trying to do is have WSJT-X's confirmation contact data automatically transferred to and be recorded in ACL. I'd sure be surprised if I were the first person that wanted to do that. Or maybe there is some better way to accomplish this data interface without both software packages directly talking to the IC-7610???

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think N3FJP has a section on his website about getting two programs to play at the same time. I seem to recall going through this with FLDigi and one of their contest logs.

3. KF2M

KF2M Ham Member QRZ Page

You could try using the REMOTE port on the back of the radio as your second connection. It is a CI-V interface just make sure you have the setting CI-V USB Port in the Set Mode>Connectors>CI-V set to "Unlink From REMOTE".

4. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes - I believe you are correct, and that was what I was attempting to do. But I was unclear regarding the hardware interface for the CI-V 3.5 mm mini-plug to computer USB cable. Is there a "smart" cable & Windows driver required, or is it simply some "dumb" interface (and if so, what is the pin-out)?

But since then, a friend advised that it's possible to have WSJT-X pass log information (via JT-Alert) to Amateur Contact Log using the TCP/IP API port 1100 function. He's doing that with his 7300. I just haven't yet had time to mess with it.

5. KF2M

KF2M Ham Member QRZ Page

You could use one of those inexpensive USB/CAT interfaces found on eBay, or you can go the more expensive route using an Icom CT-17 provided you have a serial port on your PC or use a USB to Serial interface.

6. W6TWH

W6TWH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W6TWH Reply
    I use Win4Icom Suite to control my IC-7300 (also works with the IC-7610 perfectly) with a single com port (8) and supports the simultaneous running of N3FJP’s Amateur Contact Log 6.4 for my QSO logging, WSJT-X with JTAlertX for digital modes. It provides "virtual serial port" functionality and provides available com ports such as 10 and 13 for the other two applications to run perfectly. JTAlertX reads the data from WSJT-X hence no com port required. I do turn on the AC Log API logging feature as FT8 QSO's are logged to the AC Log database via JTAlertX support to WSJT-X. I can also add a few more ports to access comm (8) for other programs I have been told needing access to the same com (8) port. The Win4Icom Suite is a nice piece of software to manage the 7300 and 7610 SDR Icom radios. Hopes this helps ... took some time and a tip from another Icom operator to educate me. Thomas

7. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would go to the N3FJP usergroup and ask about it there.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/N3FJP_Software/info
    No doubt you will find a great many people using that specific software and the same or similar rig that have dealt with it and connecting to WSJT-X if it can be done.

I use a 7600 with ACLog and it was pretty simple to get the two programs to link together. It was done with just a couple settings in the programs.
    It's more an issue of getting the two programs to communicate so that WSJT-X will send the logging info over to ACLog (in your case N3FJP) when you tell WSJT-X to log the contact.
    In my case they connect via a UDP socket so ACLog is always "listening" to or for WSJT-X.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  8. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you order a CI-V cable from other than Icom you will probably get an unlicensed clone made in China that will work for a while and then be blocked by the operating system. That's because the China clone is not really a Prolific licensed product and Prolific updated their driver to block it. There is a fix for this if it happens but it's hard to find. So I'll save you the trouble. Here it is:

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...serial-fix-official-solution-to-code-10-error

Here is how I deal with migrating WSJT-X logs to ACL.

• Create a shortcut on the desktop to the WSJT log file. You should be able to find the log file in C:\users\YOUR PC NAME HERE\appdata\local\wsjt-x\wsjtx_log.adi
    • Create a notepad text file on the desktop named 'Upload to ACL'
    • When you want to update your AC-log with QSOs logged in WSJT log file; open the log from the above short cut; copy the new QSO's not previously uploaded and paste them in the 'Upload to ACL' file
    • Open AC-log and from the FILE menu, select IMPORT ADIF FILE, and import the file you named 'Upload to ACL'
    This sounds like a lot of screwing around, but it really only takes a few seconds and after you import the log you can upload it quickly to LoTW via AC-Log.

It's helpful to get used to using the shortcuts to move to the frot and back of a file, select all, delete and copy and paste short cuts. For those who may need them they are:

CTRL-HOME takes you to the beginning of a text file
    CTRL-END takes you to the end of a text file
    CTRL-A selects and highlights the entire contents of a text file
    CTRL-C copies all highlighted text to the clip board
    CTRL-V pasts all text copied to the clip board
    CTRL-S to save an updated version of a file to the same location using the same file name

After I copy the needed records from the WSJT log, I add a couple of ENTERs to the end of the file and hit CTRL-S to save the file with a couple of line feeds at the end. Then the next time I want to copy QSO records I just do a CTRL-END to take me to the end of the file and the QSO records I need will be at the end of the file and separated from the rest of the records by the added line feeds. I drag the mouse across them and hit CTRL-C to copy them; add a couple more line feeds to the end and hit CTRL-S to save the file with the new line feeds at the end. Then I open the 'Upload to ACL' file; delete all previous QSO's in the file and paste the new QSO's in and save the file using CTRL-S.

The last thing to remember, and this is important; AC-Log will be looking for a file that has a .adi file extension. The file you saved will not have a .adi file extension so when you select IMPORT ADIF from the AC Log file menu, you will have to select the "All files (".") option in the pic box in the bottom right corner of the file selection window. Other wise you won't see the 'Upload to ACL' file in the list.

Again, I'm sure this sounds like a pain but after you do it a couple times you will see that you can do the entire operation in less than a minute.

73, BZ

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018