Icom 7610 and 705 AM review...

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N2DTS, Oct 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both of these new sdr rigs and have been enjoying them for a while.
    First the Icom 705, its a mini 7300, same display, its an SDR and has a lot of the same Icom menu/operating setup which is very good.
    It is NOT a little 7300 though, it does not modulate as well, nor sound as good with the supplied microphone.
    It has a speaker/mic setup with a 1/16? trrs jack for the mic and a 1/8 trs jack for speaker/headphone/microphone speaker.
    Audio has the same limitations as the 7610 and 7300, nothing below 200 Hz on RX or 3000 Hz on TX, but I think the TX goes down lower then 200, maybe to 100 Hz.
    Within those limitations the RX audio sounds very good and clean.
    TX power is 10 watts pep, 5 watts pep with the built in battery.
    On AM, you only get about 75% modulation no matter what the power, and the supplied speaker/mic does not
    sound very good despite the ability to adjust the lows and highs in the radio menu.
    It does 160 meters to UHF and all modes plus repeaters and digital voice.
    If it worked better on AM it could be your entire station if fed into an amplifier.

The 7610 is better, but then it should be for its size and price.
    The display is great, the ease of use is great, you can watch 2 bands at once and switch between them very quickly.
    The audio on RX and TX is the same as the 7300, not bad for an Icom, not very good for AM.
    I do find the 200 Hz rx audio cutoff not as bothersome as I would when my hearing was better, it helps with the copy.
    That is one big flaw in my book, on the TX side it does not matter much, its a 25 watt radio and at 25 watts you likely want restricted audio to punch through.
    Not the rigs to put into an amp for good hifi AM.

I find myself liking the 7610 a lot.
    Its really nice sounding on strong signals, on weak signals the agc tends to boost the noise as many sdr's do.
    The RF gain helps there.

2. N2DTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

N1BCG likes this.
  3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Heya Brett,
    But are they boring?

;)

WZ5Q likes this.
  4. N2DTS

No, I do not think so.
    They are used mostly as receivers and band scopes and always give you something to look at.

If you use something like the K7DYY transmitter, you just turn it on and talk into it, and I suppose you could say its boring, but so is a
    well working tube rig, turn it on and talk into it...
    I park my rigs on a band all tuned up, so all my stuff I just turn on and talk into it unless I decide to move it to another band.
    The antenna needs no tuning/changing, I have 4 transmitters tuned up and ready to go, so no excitement there.

I will say running a standalone rig like the G76 is exciting, as by itself you do not know what is going on at all.
    I have no idea what is around my signal, or even where my signal is!
    The vfo and receiver are not calibrated very well and things drift a little.
    You can zero beat a signal (every 10 minutes or so) but its guesswork where you are or how close to other signals
    on the band.
    It seems very strange and exciting.
    Or, you could say its boring as all you have to do is listen and talk while looking at a G76....

They are just tools to do the job, do they do a good job? Are they hard or easy to use?
    Some tools are better at some jobs then others.
    I think a good sdr receiver is hard to top, while a good high power transmitter calls for tubes, and a good antenna calls for a lot of wire.

I don't class ham radio as an exciting hobby unless you get across the HV...

5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I like my 7610. I've been able to have AM QSOs on it when my other radios just can't pull signal out of the muck and interference.

6. N2DTS

I do also, its much better then the 7300.
    Not in performance or fidelity but ease of use and features along with a very nice display.

The airspy hf+ discovery is better in most respects though.
    Better fidelity, sync detection, anti fading, and you can pick dsb, lsb, usp or AM with inserted carrier.
    QRM on one side, just click on the other sideband.
    Lots of QSB distortion? Just pick dsb with inserted carrier and get a clean clear signal.
    Move the passband 20 Hz away from a carrier and not hear it.
    The hardware is good, but the software enables a lot of great features and performance.

The 7610 ranks third behind any good computer based sdr like the Flex, Anan, Airspy, Perseus, etc,
    and my simple homebrew.
    The new K4 from Elecraft may top them all, we will see....

7. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use my Icom-7200 only when I don't have the proper crystal frequency for the HT-40 or Knight T-150, and have had good audio reports.

When you guys slide down to 7.288 MHz or when there is a QSO on 14.328 or so, the Icom is used.

Pheel

8. N2DTS

The broadcast station on 7295 makes 7290 rough going!
    Sometimes there are ssb guys on 7285 and up...

9. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have asked the guys on 7.285 and 7.283 to move down a couple of kHz, because they are running Military equipment with USB only capabilities.

Pheel

10. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

25W carrier, of course, which has no problem getting over 100W peaks. It doesn't sound as good as the old tube radios, but my 7610 sounds great on AM.