ICOM 7600 no receive

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W4XDS, Jul 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W4XDS

W4XDS Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently acquired a used ICOM 7600 that will not receive on any band or on either antenna. Scope just shows what looks like background scatter, no signal. Front panel lights up and everything looks like it is working, just no signal coming in. I've used the same antenna on my 857D and get great signals in, switch it over to the 7600 and no joy.

I am new to this radio and am not real familiar with all of the ins and outs.

In speaking with another Ham that is well versed in these Icoms, he indicated that he had a similar issue in his 7610 and remedied it by reinstalling the firmware, starting with 2 or 3 versions back and coming forward.

Anyone heard of this issue and that particular fix? I guess I will give it a go since I don't think it will harm anything.

2. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you made sure your not receiving from Rx input? In the top left the antenna switch, short press swap antenna 1 or 2 on Tx and Rx, long press swap 1Tx / recieve port, or 2 Tx/ recieve port.

K4PP

3. W4XDS

Thanks for replying - I had checked that but to be sure I fired it back up and double-checked - still no joy. Appreciate it!

W4XDS

4. KI4MYD

KI4MYD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not IC7600 specific, but my Kenwood 590 had an issue where it would lose receive completely, but it was intermittent. Turned out to be a loose connection on an internal coax jumper. You could pop the covers off and tap/jiggle each coax run to see if you get any kind of receiver response. May not fix the problem, but it's a very non invasive thing to check that would be a dirt simple fix if it's the problem.

Various large gray wires in this photo. They'll be on the top and bottom of the transciever:
    [​IMG]

5. W4XDS

Good idea. When I picked this transceiver (it's from an SK) up I noticed there were 2 screws missing from the cover, so I assume that someone has already been tinkering inside. Can't hurt to look.

6. W4XDS

Cracked the covers and checked over all of the wires, jumpers, etc. and did not find anything loose, burnt or otherwise a major suspect. No change in receive. I am going to move forward with regressing and updating the firmware. I will post back on the results.

Thanks for the inputs!

Jim, W4XDS