ad: w5yi

Icom 756 (Non-Pro) has developed an intermittent RX Issue, Help!

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by N0CEL, Dec 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Evening all y'all and Happy Holidays! I am currently the proud owner of a great IC-756 "Classic". I am not worried about the display line issue, as I plan on ordering a cable to interface with my computer ;) My main issue is this intermittent Receive issue I have going on. At times, I have resorted to connecting my EFHW to the RX jack on the rear of this rig, which is okay...sometimes...while TX on my Delta loop. I have researched this out for several months, before posting this on QRZ. I have found that an RF "Overload" can affect several componants. I have NOT checked the voltage point along specific components as of yet...I am just wondering if I am "barking up the right tree"? If anyone has suggestions, my email addy is good here, and I do check back here several times a day. Thank You all for taking the time to read this and Happy Holidays Mr. Carl de NØCEL

Attached Files:

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is most likely a relay. RL 13 ?

Good Luck.

3. N0CEL

Good Afternoon & Happy Holidays!

I was hoping that it would be an "easier" repair, such as this ;) Same quirk popped again about an hour ago...and, instead of plugging one of the Ant. feeds into the RX jack again, I just reached up and turned the Power off. I waited about a minute and turned the radio back on, and it's working "FB" ATM?! It's maddening, and I am almost convinced it is either that flaky relay (13) and or a cold/bad solder joint? I'll keep checking back here, and TY for your thoughts! 73 Carl de NØCEL

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried keying the mic for a second to see if it starts working again ?

Have Fun.

N0CEL likes this.
  5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

The Pro series is actually two receivers in one, counting the pan adapter.

So, does the pan adapter show "grass" when the other audio receiver cuts out or no?

6. N0CEL

Don't laugh, but I did try this a few times! I did notice that if I power down the 756 (NON PRO) for those keeping score, and wait a few seconds or even about a minute, and then power back up, my receive comes back. It stays "stable" sometimes for hours, or it will drop again in a minute or so. I may have a relay gremlin. BTW, I was told by someone else that R-13 is a *critical* RXTX point. I will post any new developments! Again, TY for the reply! Carl de NØCEL

7. N0CEL

GE and TY for the response, and actually this is the first year/first run of the Icom 756 Series of transceivers...this one is *not* a Pro. Best 73 and HH's and TY for your input. Carl de NØCEL

8. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oops ... I meant 756 series ...

This one right?
    https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/756.html

Says it has a spectrum scope ... what gives?

9. N0CEL

That's the critter! :) My Icom has that lovely TFT Sanyo display that goes to crap after so long :mad:. Anyway, yes, mine has the spectrum scope. I spruced up my EFHW wire about an hour ago, and it works great...also, the RX hasn't flipped-out on me...*yet* :eek: