Icom 751A plastic bezel

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AD7LS, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AD7LS

AD7LS Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to remove the plastic bezel on the face plate for some cosmetic repair. I don't know if its glued in or what holds it in place. Wondering if anyone else has had to remove it and how they did it.

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

ICOM IC-751A HF Transceiver : SERVICE MANUAL
    Icom provided this to all authorized Service Centers, and the Service Manual was sold to knowledgeable radio amateurs with electronics bench experience.

Section 5 - DISASSEMBLY and ASSEMBLY DIAGRAMS
    http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/ICOM_HF/IC-751A_serv.pdf

3. AD7LS

4. AD7LS

Thanks for the reply, I did check the service manual and they show the front but the picture shows a complete front plate with the plastic. It appears that there is no options for taking out that plastic short of DIY, take your chances. There is a threaded screw on the back of the plastic Icom insignia but appears to be embedded in the plastic. Mystery.

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

To remove the plastic front bezel ...
    ALL the knobs and nuts for the rotary controls and PC boards must be removed.
    It is an infrequent step, on the electronics service bench, so the manual focuses on removal “as a unit” with the controls and front panel PC boards.

You desire to work on the plastic bezel for cosmetic repair to the bezel.

6. AD7LS

7. AD7LS

That's correct I want to remove the bezel. This is what happened. I tried buffing out some scratches but my speed was too high and caused more problems. so I removed the front face plate, including the TS, DFA, AND BAND switches. sanded down the front of the plastic, polished, buffed the front of the plastic. It looks like new but, some of the polish paste fluid leaked in between the outer plastic edge and the metal frame. So now I need to take out the plastic and clean out the watery plastic paste residue.

8. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Only two ways these bezels are retained (depending on model):

1) Glue
    2) Screws

I have a 751 (non-A) panel in Ye Olde Parts Stash. I can check it later on and see what Icom did on the back side of the front panel.

9. AD7LS

Hey you are the man. I appreciate your help