Icom 746 Pro - good backup rig?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K2QI, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KU5Q

KU5Q Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. K3UD

K3UD Guest

I purchased a new IC-746PRO 5 years ago and had no problems with it. It is sort of a backup radio although it does get its time on the air. My main radio is an old FT-100 that gets most of the air time. Both radios work well and both have been run mobile and field days. The 746PRO is a bit more sophisticated than the FT-100 and as mentioned, they both get a work out.

Icom had a program to fix the 746PRO as long as the radio is still in production free of charge (does not include shipping back and forth). Both radios had their share of problems when they were first marketed. Maybe I was lucky but by now most of these radios (on the used market) have been fixed.

George
    K3UD

3. K4FX

K4FX Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to own a 746. I enjoyed the radio a lot. Worked great. Just keep the brightness at 100% on the display or risk losing the backlight.

I wish I had not sold the 746. Currently I own a FT-857D for backup to my 756 Pro II. It certainly was nice to have when I sent the Pro II in for repairs earlier this summer!! Using the 857 not only kept me on the air, it made me appreciate the features of the Pro II a lot more :) In any case I will never be without a spare!

Good luck

K4FX

4. WB7VTY

WB7VTY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a chance to use a 746 on field day and didnt like it. Irritating and awkward menu system and controls. Some stuff I never did figure out. CW is my main interest and it is definately NOT a CW radio. I just sold an old TS130s which I vastly prefered over the 746. Have fun either way.
    Joe

5. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised this thread is still alive. Nope, never bothered looking further in the 746Pro. Did more investigating and didn't like the 746Pro's track record for reliability.

6. N9VO

N9VO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You made a smart decision my friend.

7. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Marketing......

Show me a radio that is much better then an old Collins?

Then show me a President better then an old Ronald Reagan?

The end times may not be here, but the techno end times are here.

Case closed. :)

8. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just curious as to why you say it is not a CW radio?

While my 746 pro had to go back to Icom for repair and I REALLY wanted to toss it out the window because of that, I have not found it to be a bad radio for CW. 95% of my HF activity is CW and has been that way for 20 years. I was just curious as to what your opinion was.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  9. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Things do change quickly. I can recall not so long ago that the hottest tranceiver in the whole wide world was a 746 pro III, and now its been relegated to a standby rig. Like Brigette Bardot was once every mans' dream.

G0GQK

10. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom hasn't built an IC-746PRO II. They didn't need to, the PRO was good enough. I own one, have use it with great pleasure for over two years, and have yet to have a failure. It is the best transceiver I've owned in nearly 50 years on the air. Anyone who has a problem is vocal; those with no problems just quietly enjoy the rig. My guess (and I read every post to the 746PRO discussion group) is there's a thousand that are working fine for every failure (which you hear about 6 times from the same whiner). And that guy generally shuts up after Icom fixes and upgrades the radio with no charge except shipping.

To the OP, buy that puppy if it seems an excellent price. If you later have misgivings, help out a financially challenged newbie by re-selling it at the same price; he'll be your friend forever. 73

Gary, K9ZMD/6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.