ad: Amateur-1

icom 7300 with INRAD RX7300 Receive Only Input Modification Kits

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KD2HTG, Oct 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2HTG

KD2HTG Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings,

I purchased, yesterday, a used icom 7300 from a older very experienced operator. He installed from Dx Engineering:
    INRAD RX7300 Receive Only Input Modification Kit.
    So consequently there is no external antenna tuner connector since the modification kits RCA jacks take the space in the rear panel that the external antenna tuner connector normally resides. I opened the radio tonight to discover that the external antenna tuner connector is not inside the radio. I can order this part from ICOM and remove the modification kit because I must use an icom ah 4 external tuner in a motorhome installation.

My question is, other than the fact that the modification kit and the external antenna tuner connect occupy the same space on the rear panel, can they both be present in the radio and used? I can always create a hole in the top of the radio cover to run the external antenna tuner out of the radio while the input modification kit is in the hole in the rear panel. The molex connector in the radio is very accessible.

BTW, the INRAD modification is to use a separate receive antenna. Previous owner used a Beverage antenna.

Thank you for your replies.

David

2. EI4HWB

EI4HWB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you can use both of them, Inrad mod and the antenna tuner output. They don't affect one another.

3. KD2HTG

Thanks for the reply. How I have to figure out an "elegant" way to route the wire out of the radio.

David

4. KD2HTG

A related question. In the 7300 with the Inrad in the radio, why does the radio not "hear" its own transmitted signal and overload the front end? Does the radio disconnect the receive only antenna when it transmits?

5. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I assume it shorts the receive antenna to ground.