Icom 7300... Windows PC or Mac Computer?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W9QK, Jan 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. W9QK

W9QK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Im setting up my shack in a few days as soon as I get the power supply on Monday. Not sure if PC or Mac. I’m not sure which operating system would offer me more flexibility with the software out there for ham radio...(WSJT-X/ Ham Radio Deluxe). And also do in need a device between the radio and the computer or the radio hooks up straight to the pc?
    I’m a new ham so I’m still trying to figure things out. Thanks for any help in advance, 73.

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-7300 has a built-in sound card and serial port, in addition to other interface options thru various back panel jacks. You can connect the computer to the IC-7300 with a single USB cable.

If the drivers are installed correctly, the rig will appear as a sound card and one or more serial ports to the computer. Then, in the software you are trying to set up, you need to refer to these specifically.

Also, there are several IC-7300 menu settings which must be used to enable the internal sound and data paths. If these are not set correctly, I understand the rig can be "looking" at a jack on the back panel which has nothing connected to it.

My understanding is that there is far more software available for Windows than for Mac.

Taking Ham Radio Deluxe as an example, this is from their website -

Ham Radio Deluxe will run on any version of Windows supported by Microsoft that meet the minimum hardware specifications provided by Microsoft.

Notice the Mac is not mentioned.

I

W9QK likes this.
  3. WD4DXQ

WD4DXQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ozzie,

Look here too...

https://www.machamradio.com/

https://www.dogparksoftware.com/

There are plenty of Mac software packages for both logging and digital modes. I own the current versions of HRD and MacLogger and still prefer MacLoggerDX. There is also a version of WSJT for Mac.

I have just as many PCs as I do Macs and still prefer the Mac.

Steve

4. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Without wanting to get into Operating System Wars, it is simply the case that Windows has the widest range of choice of Amateur Radio related software. You certainly can find examples of most radio related classes of application on both the Mac and Linux, but the majority of non-free radio applications like HRD and Win4ICOM are Windows only. I'm a heavy duty Linux user - I spend my working life designing and developing Linux applications - but I still run Windows on the shack PC. I have made multiple attempts at switching to Linux, but always gone back to windows simply because the choice of applications is so much better.

Martin (G8FXC)

K9CPO, W9FL, W9QK and 1 other person like this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is definitely more ham radio and technical software available for the PC, though many ham items have a Mac version or substitute.

The larger question is which do you prefer aside from ham radio? If you currently use and like Windows, then just get a PC for the shack and carry on.

I switched to Macs about 10 years ago but still need to use Windows (running on the Mac under a VM) for antenna modeling, circuit analysis, transmission line programs, etc.

W9QK likes this.
  6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fully agree! Decent spec PCs are pretty cheap these days, so dedicate one to the shack. I have a small tower with an Intel Core i3 and 8Gb memory which sits under the shack desk. Two large monitors on adjustable arms above the transceivers and other equipment. I've selected applications that all work together to give me an integrated PC controlled shack - Win4ICOM for CAT control, Log4OM for logging, WSJT-X and JS8Call for modern digital modes, FLDigi for the old favorites and SDRPlay with an RSP1A to give me a wide screen, high resolution panadaptor. Every few months, I try to achieve the same with Linux, but the applications simply are not there!

Martin (G8FXC)

W9QK likes this.
  7. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I will say there is less software support for Mac and I see far more questions about how to get X radio or software running on Mac than I do Windows. Software support is on the rise but I doubt it will ever reach Windows levels or surpass it. If you like Mac, go for it. There is no wrong answer, just personal preference and a difference in product availability and support.

W9QK likes this.
  8. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ended up using QRZ's logbook, JTDX (or WSJT-X), and GridTracker on Linux without any issue. CubicSDR can drive the SDRPlay. I really enjoyed Log4OM, but ultimately decided QRZ's logbook works just fine and GridTracker logs it automatically.

Of course, the FL* program have been available on Linux for a long time. Note I do not use CAT control, as I have no need.

W9QK likes this.
  9. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah! A fellow airman who always worked under the support group, like me! Spent 16 years as a 2E2, 12 years as a 33S.

Ham radio is a windows world, at least initially, for ham radio nubes. If you've never had a mac, there's no reason to buy a mac for ham radio. And eventually, you'll wonder into and dabble in the freedom of linux.

W9FL and W9QK like this.
  10. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or, like many of us, you may find that the Windows World is all that you need. I use/used Windows computers (and MS-DOS before that) for work for over 40 years. I simply felt no need to learn another operating system just to run my radio stuff. I use a Win10 notebook and N3FJP Amateur Contact Log for general logging, N1MM Logger Plus for contest logging, WSJT-X for digital modes, a Win Keyer for keying and contest code, and then upload to LOTW as needed. Mine is a fairly simple setup, and Windows is just fine. YMMV