ad: Retevis-1

Icom 7300 vs. Icom 7610 Comparison

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Feb 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Now if only ICOM would wake up & make a rig like the 7610 without a Touch Screen I would give it serious consideration but as it stands right now the only ICOM rigs I will ever own will all be USED gear such as another 7600.I & others won't own any touch screen transceiver at any price.Should I Win the one in Orlando at Hamcation I would sell it still sealed in the box to somebody who does not feel the way I do about them.Yes I don't even want one for FREE but it would make a nice dent in getting the funds for an ICOM 7800 in my shack I'm sure.Maybe my ICOM 7600 will last me a lifetime but only time will tell.The 7300 is much to small for me & requires even more touching of the screen which make it even less possible of ever even coming in the door of my shack much less sitting on either of my desks.

Clayton
    W4KVW

K0PIR likes this.
  2. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's an interesting point of view. I like the knobs on the 7610 and using the front end. Ergonomically I think it is a very good, but as you mention, it is a touch screen and has to be used.

I was just commenting earlier on another site that I don't use my software for rig control much. I use the front end of the radio more, so I see what you mean. The rig control software, I just use to put the correct frequency and mode into my log automatically. It's a convenience.

Thanks for that comment Clayton.

73's

W4KVW likes this.
  3. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Reviews are interesting, though rarely conclusive for many.
    If money were no object, we would all just purchase the best and be done.

All reviews need to be viewed with cost vs. value vs ROI usefullness and outright enjoyment.

This review appears to be more about "feature sets" rather than down right performance.
    A S-1 difference to most ears is not noticeable.

I like analogies: Power windows while nice in a car are not necessary to roll the window down.

Only my opinion as a 7300 owner; I just can't see with my current operating habits that the 7610 would provide anything I need at over $2,700 more.
    For far less than the current cost of the 7610, I would rather upgrade my antenna system.

I will watch with baited breath how many units Icom will sell in a year; I seriously doubt they will fly off the shelves as the 7300 did.

W5CJA and K0PIR like this.
  4. K0PIR

I agree and good points. Yes, the 7300 is a very nice rig and I don't see purchasing a 7610 if I didn't want to do more contesting and DX'ing. The 7300 is more than enough for digital modes, talking to friends and checking into nets. The 7300 is great for CW and RTTY (FSK). I enjoy it tremendously.

Thanks for the informative comment and it's good to know what others are thinking.

Best 73!

5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 7300 and like the two antenna ports on the 7610. You didn't mention the HD monitor plug for external monitor on the 7610. The 7300 has IF out so an sdr will work with it as does the 7610.

K0PIR likes this.
  6. K0PIR

Hi,

Yes that's correct, it does and people have successfully used the Inrad RX7300 with HDSDR. It works very well.

For more information on that see: http://www.k0pir.us/icom-7300-panadapter-dxpatrol-mini-circuits-splitter-hdsdr/

Thanks for mentioning the external monitor. The external monitor is mentioned in the full article. That's why I was pushing my website in the video. The video and article compliment each other. Please visit the full article on my website. http://www.k0pir.us/true-icom-7300-vs-icom-7610-comparison/

Good points and thank you again!

73's

7. YB1CIR

YB1CIR Ham Member QRZ Page

WOOOOWWW
    ITS A GOOD RIG

K0PIR likes this.
  8. KE0AHM

KE0AHM Ham Member QRZ Page

Would like to see the deference in performance between the two. filters, tranmit and receive

K0PIR likes this.
  9. K0PIR

That's what I thought I would do eventually, but it is difficult to do a video on that.

Search YouTube and I am sure there's something out there.

10. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Logger 32 as my logging program and I created an extensive set of macros in the RCP panel for the Icom 7610 CIV commands. I have all but eliminated the use of the touch screen. At this point the only limitation is I have ran out of macro buttons !.

11. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like it still requires having a computer connected to the radio? I don't want my laptop tied up controlling my radios.I'll just stick with my ICOM 7600 & just buy USED ICOM radios from here out.ICOM has done me a favor because USED radios are far less expensive & the 7600 does far more than I will ever need.They don't care what the consumers want they just build stuff & figure somebody will by the crap just because they want a new radio but I am not a fish & will never own any of it at any price.The 7600 appear to be the last NEW HF/6 Meter transceiver I will own & that's just fine by me & ICOM could care less since they are rolling in the Big Bucks.

Clayton
    W4KVW

12. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

But you dont need a computer at all. The 7610 functions like a 7600 it just has the touch screen and its a real SDR rig. My biggest fear was adjusting the power out levels when running my AL-1500 but thats easier than I imagined with the multi knob on the front of the rig or via CIV commands. I have had a 746 PRO and 756PROIII and the 7600 and I think the 7610 is going to be the best one yet since they seem to have fixed the initial firmware bugs. Remember this is not a flex. It has knobs . My reason for the Logger 32 extensive CIV macros was just for my operating style.I do see stiff competition with the new flex radios ,especially the M series.
    Dave N8DC

13. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are a rag chew op, a 40/80 net op and casual op probably it is not worth the price difference. If you are a serious DXer, contester and especially a low band DXer (80, 160m) then the answer is yes. The dual receiver, quick split, dual watch and especially the dedicated receive antenna for 160m beverage or mag loop antenna is a must have for a low band DXer.

14. W1PDG

W1PDG Ham Member QRZ Page

So let’s see what you actually get with the 7610 over the 7300. I’m going to buy one or the other to replace my 7600. Please add to the list.
    Dual receiver (very handy I feel even if you aren’t a dxer. I like to use dual watch to monitor 6 and 10 meter for openings just to have a nice qso. Then again you could buy two 7300 for less and have separate radios.)
    Ability too use external monitor ( I feel this would have been a good idea on the 7300)
    Two antenna ports
    A nicer display.......... what else as far as bling goes?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018