ICOM 7300 USB Mutes All Computer Sound

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by K3PF, Mar 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K3PF

K3PF Ham Member QRZ Page

When I plug my ICOM 7300 USB cable into my computer port, "all" computer sound is muted even with the radio turned off. Everything used to work OK. The problem just unexpectedly showed up. Thinking that the problem was in the computer, I did an uninstall of the assigned COM port and also deleted and did fresh driver installation. Still no sound fix. After several trial and error attempts to fix the problem, I wondered if the problem was in the radio and not the computer. So, I connected the radio to a different computer and found there was no sound from this computer, either. Looks as if the radio has the fault and not the computer. Now, I am stumped about what to do. I am no digital expert so I am hoping someone has some good suggestions about what to do to fix the problem.

I tried using FLdigi in the PSK-31 mode and found I can properly send and receive data to and from the radio using the radio USB port, but all computer sound is muted.

2. WA6FX

WA6FX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine does that as well, I unplug the USB cable from the computer when I want to hear the computer audio.
    Windows 10 pro laptop....

3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a Windows feature (bug?) It usually selects the most recently installed audio device as its default output channel. If you were in transmit when you receive a new email, I'm pretty sure you would transmit a short fanfare on forty metres.

4. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Try floating your mouse pointer over or right clicking on the speaker icon in the lower right corner of your screen.
    It should bring up what configurations and/or speaker options you have available.
    I recall having the same or similar problem and this popped into my head.
    Good luck.

5. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to change the default output device back to your speakers.

W9FL likes this.
  6. K3PF

K3PF Ham Member QRZ Page

Changing the default speakers back to default worked perfect . Thanks to all for your responses.

7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

There are advanced settings in the sound menus that let you set the default sound device for different programs under windows 10

8. G8FXC

Don't forget it - it will happen again and again! Any significant configuration change is likely to make windows revert its default output channel...

Martin

W9FL likes this.
  9. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why I would never use Windows 10 !

Why doesn't it ask you before changing anything? (oh I forgot . . . it's Windows for Housewives)

Roger G3YRO

10. G8FXC

It is one of its most irritating features from the ham radio point of view! I'm a Linux user in my professional life, but there just are not the high quality ham radio applications available under Linux!

Martin