Icom 7300 Tranmission problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KZ8MAX, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KZ8MAX

KZ8MAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I have an Icom 7300 and have just got my shack setup. I am using an antenna tuner and have an inverted butterfly antenna in my attic. I am receiving perfectly but I'm not getting anything to go out as far as I can tell. My first clue that something is wrong is that the waterfall display doesn't stop or show any marks when I key up and talk. I can't figure out what's going on. I called Icom and they said I should disconnect my external tuner because it was worthless.. etc. No change in transmit. I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on what is wrong. I hope it's not the radio but I want to find out before i start shipping things around to get fixed.

Thanks,

Max Moncrief

KZ8MAX

2. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Check your ALC setting?

3. KZ8MAX

I've adjusted power up and down and don't see any difference.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What is your SWR ?

Have you tried different bands ?

Have you tested the radio using a dummy load ?

Good Luck.

5. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

What does it do into a dummy load?

6. KZ8MAX

Im using a tuner so the SWR is being seen as good. I've tried on 40 , 80 and jumped around some other bands. I've been calling CQ to strong stations without response.

7. KZ8MAX

I need to set up a dummy load. Any suggestions so I can do this on the cheap? Or any specific dummy loads I can buy?

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How can you tell the SWR is good if the rig doesn't show any output power?

WR2E likes this.
  9. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Another suggestion: If you know CW send TEST DE KZ8MAX a few times on different bands. Then check the reverse beacon network to see if you are spotted and getting out. (http://reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=KZ8MAX&t=dx).

If you do not know CW you can enter (and send) TEST DE KZ8MAX with the IC7300 CW macro keys.

10. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, assuming the IC7300 works like my IC7610, if the waterfall display doesn't stop and show your transmit signal--- then you are NOT transmitting (or even keying the radio). Make sure the microphone connector is properly seated. If you are using an aftermarket mic, then check all the wiring. Sounds to me like you are simply not closing the PTT circuit. If you know anyone locally with a 7300, ask them to visit (and bring their microphone).

K3RLD likes this.