ICOM 7300 - run on battery?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by OE1FLS, Aug 25, 2020.

Tags:
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 2W0HOH

2W0HOH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all,
    I forgot to mention I checked with Ctek and they assure me that the power supply permanently charging is perfectly in order and relatively high currents can be drawn at any time.
    The battery will quickly recover from say 12Amps for 5 minutes, I personally would not talk for that long without a break!
    73 Peter 2W0HOH

W9FL likes this.
  2. W0YRE

W0YRE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    Posting a bit late, just looking at this. Adding to the Battery notes, which do address the baseline issue.

Any 'crimped' connections should be inspected, and remade/replaced. Solder the Power Pole connectors after a good cleaning and mechanical crimp. Look inside those quad connectors to your 7300... yep, mine are crimped from the factory. I was dropping up to 1vdc before remaking all those. MOP for my electrical contactors' PM in my data centers: connecting material surfaces to be joined (copper, etc) are clean(ed), deoxidized; good mechanical connection (torqued bolts to proper rating, crimps are not loose on LV).

I cringe when I see crimped spade connections in HVAC power and control wiring. "Easy" for the installer, comes back to bite the user, and the repair tech. To and from Contactors... lots of resistive connections. I've seen 24vac control wires going to-from contactors with insulation burned off. I've 'repaired' many 'dead' systems by simply cleaning and remaking the connections (replacing contactors with carboned contacts too). I've heard recommissioning folk call it "Electro-Mechanical Hygiene."

(and what do I have on my 450 ohm WLL while I'm experimenting with lengths? lol - ok, but I cleaned, crimped and soldered all the ends... not that the joined ends will be worth a darn soon, but it's temporary :) )

For our purposes, solder those ends before sliding them into the 4 conductor harness. Oh - going from 2 to 4 for the harness? Yep - where you splice them - same applies. Clean, tight, soldered. Record your VDD a few tx's before and after - you'll see a difference.

Best, Ken W0YRE

3. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just so no one reads the preceding post as 'solder everything,' there are certain high voltage connections which should never be soldered.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Voltage drop on high current demand is usually caused by ;
    Resistance between battery and load, or a bad battery.
    Check resistance of connections, even a fraction of an ohm will not be good. you may may have too thin wire,
    Pins on Power plug/socket may be intermittantly failing when the current goes high .
    (BUT original post says it is ok on an AC supply what connector is different?)

5. 2E0GUB

2E0GUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Volt drop as the battery is non regulated, unlike the bench power supply.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Test on Battery Power

I just ordered a spare power cable for my 7300,
    Expect to hook it up to my shack battery ( 650 cranking amps rating) next week and I imagine running at half power or less might help keep the voltage more steady so I will report on it, here..