ICOM 7300 New at $850 / How low will this drive used market?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN2X, Dec 4, 2019 at 1:54 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

I am about to rebuild my Ham equipment, (Had to sell all last year (Son's private school!)

I am seeing some trend in the market for HF Transceivers.

A brand new Icom 7300 sells for $898 (With rebates / Plus free shipment)...I noted, used ICOM 7300 for $800 some even at $850 (Without shipment)...

I have to ask, who would purchase used ICOM at 800, (Without shipment), when you can buy new at $ 898, with shipment? (I saw numerous used ICOM 7300 on either QRZ, EHAM, or QTH, at 800 to 850 used price!)

Not to mention other HF radios, (Used market) that can't compete with the ICOM 7300, that used to sell even higher than $800

If you look at Sherwood Engineering, ICOM 7300 is top of the list..

I think that the used market will take a hit soon...If for anything, I would not buy a used ICOM 7300 no higher than $700..(And that has to be less than a year old)...I am sure other Hams will do the same

I think the ICOM 7300 is not only disruptive in technology, but further, disruptive in the used HF Transceiver market..

What do you all think?

KG7HVR and K4BYB like this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am thinking ... didnt we already have this thread a couple of times since last week?

KN4ULD, N0TZU, N4NYK and 5 others like this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It has been generating threads almost since the day of release of the 7300. Only the numbers keep changing, generally downward.

To the OP: you see this effect in other markets, too. The main difference is that competition is limited in the AR market, so single products can make more waves than, for example, in the automobile market.

4. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the responses...Yes, this has been talked about before (Dropping prices due to the ICOM 7300), the only difference is how much the drop in pricing has become..I am willing to bet the ICOM will drop on the used market under 700 less than a year..

We will see...But I am seeking ICOM 7300 I just have to wait some! (I have a child going to college this year!)

Cheers

NN2X, Tom

5. NN4RH

When pricing gets down to half of the original price, which is where they are now, perhaps they are dumping inventory because there is a new one in the pipeline.

WD4ELG and K4BYB like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's just too bad that new car pricing doesn't work that way. :D

N0TZU, KD8DEY, K4TTJ and 2 others like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not debate the price of Wheat or Beef on the hoof, or tomorrows' weather?

This is a silly thread. The market will determine the fair price for each item offered for sale.

[EDIT: The best indicator of a fair price of a used radio is what it sold for yesterday!]. b.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    N8ZL, K1OIK and K8HIT like this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up my 7410 NIB after they were discontinued for $850 with matching power supply. I thought that would drop used prices but didn't see much in reality.
    People pay what they are willing to pay.

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Let’s review - It’s a entry-level radio for an entry-level price.

N4NYK, N8ZL, N1VAU and 3 others like this.
  10. NN4RH

It was over-priced and over-hyped to begin with. Price has finally fallen to what it's really worth.

KE0EYJ, N0TZU, KG7HVR and 9 others like this.