Icom 7300 IF output adaptor, finally

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by VE7BPB, Apr 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. G0GSR

I had a reply from Radio Analog:

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your interest and we appreciate your valuable feedback.
    As you see in homapage text, we mentioned that ICOM-7300 is direct sampling receiver. We know that there is no frequency conversion but actually we havent find better term than IF and supposed every amateur know how their rigs works already. Taking your feedback seriously we are going to add a short explanation.

Keep watching website for updates please.

Kind regards,
    Radio Analog Team.

W1TRY, NY7Z, K6LPM and 2 others like this.
  3. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

This made my day... :)

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

KD2ACO and WA7PRC like this.
  4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

@VE7BPB

I had another look at the PTRX-7300. I think I get it now. The following features are of interest:

Dual Receivers Mode: YES
    Simultaneous Operation: YES
    RX/TX Monitoring: YES
    SDR Port to RF tap Point Isolation: High (>60 dB (average), Amplifier Reverse Isolation)

If you are getting one, please let us know how it performs in actual use.

5. G0GSR

For me, this solution is too restrictive.
    Having the band pass filters in line will no doubt help a cheap SDR dongle but this comes at a cost.
    The band pass filters restrict any second RX's usefulness to the band currently selected. With the higher bands, the filter bandwidths are greater but operating on say 80m, the 2nd RX could not be used on a different band.

Having two receivers on the same band is not something I need.

Frank

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm, i'm fairly tempted to try one out with my SDR Play.

7. W9MO

W9MO Ham Member QRZ Page

My main rig is a Flex 6400, but I also own am Icom IC-7300 and and SDRPlay RSP1A receiver. When working DX pileups, I often use the Flex's second receiver slice to listen to the stations calling the DX. This usually help me figure out the split more quickly than just parking on a clear spot and calling blindly. I never really use the second receive slice to listen to another band, so the PTRX-7300 might allow me to the same thing by using my RSP1A as a second receiver with the IC-7300.

I would love to see a review on PTRX-7300 and see if this works as advertised. This might not be a bad upgrade for my style of operating.

8. K5SEU

K5SEU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose the PTRX-7300 would not resolve the typical time lag between the TRX and SDR processing? I currently use a RSP1a and it lags maybe 0.3 seconds behind my TS 450. Not much but enough to be annoying and too late in pile up situations. I guess it’s due to the computer processing and since PTRX-7300 simply provides a different signal source the time lag would still apply? Anyone with any experience on this?

9. W7ESR

W7ESR Ham Member QRZ Page

It looked interesting until they grabbed new distributors and jacked up the price. I would be interested to see if someone does a direct comparison of the cheeper versions vs their new fancy one.