Icom 7300 IF output adaptor, finally

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by VE7BPB, Apr 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly.

What the RadioAnalog people have done is effectively integrating a small antenna multicoupler into a fancy-looking box.

A risk with using multicouplers with appreciable gain, especially single-ended, is that they may make the already quite bad strong-signal behaviour of cheap SDR:s even worse...

It it a sign of the times that too many new amateurs are quite clueless of both the existence of "intermediate frequencies" in SDR:s and of receiver signal handling properties.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

G0GSR likes this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope... the author of that webpage is asking for someone to provide an Intermediate Frequency output (on a rig w/o an IF). Many superheterodyne rigs don't have that but, can be modified to have it. I did that w/ my olde Kenwood TS-120S & TS-130S rigs, so I could use my Kenwood SM-220 and Heath SB-620. Later, I found my Kenwood TS-850S already had a wideband IF output. A few cascaded MMICs provided enough level to drive the Heath SB-620*. :)

* The SB-620 input amplifier toob can be switched to function as a mixer, and work with IFs other than what it was configured. :)

3. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i admit im behind on this. dont fully understand the purpose,question #1. ,
    but i will ask, could something like this get me a waterfall on my yeasu 450d?? q#2
    it has an if !!

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't read the page again, but I believe this particular add-on is custom designed for the IC-7300.

If your radio has an IF out, a cheap RTL-SDR will give you a waterfall.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. W9WQA

ok im getting it. i have "some"rtl' stuff ive used. now ill look at 450 if..tnx,

6. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely no use to your FT-450 I'm afraid.

But you do not want an IF output. ("IF" being Intermediate Frequency).

You need a signal frequency RF output.

Your 450 is a superhet RX and so does have an IF but it has a narrow bandwidth so with an external SDR, you would only see signals very close either side of your operating frequency.

Just like the IC-7300, you need an RF output, one at signal frequency. This will allow your external SDR to see a much wider bandwidth, limited only by the receivers band-pass filtering and dependant on where the "RF output" takes its signal from.
    A lot more use than a minute "window".

Here is an article describing what you can do with the FT-450 if you want to read more:
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Yaesu-FT-450D-RF-Tap-Modification-for-SDR/

Frank

7. W9WQA

"something like this" i should have said, a similiar approach..
    i didnt expect to use that exact device...
    ill look at the info and i appreciat the help...

8. W9WQA

now searching for hi z lna, none found. they dont seem to mention that spec.
    ill open my 450 and find test points for preparation , been in there before.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

According to Yaesu (maybe "yeasu" as well):

"The FT-450D includes a 10 kHz bandwidth Roofing Filter in the 67.899 MHz 1st IF, right after the 1st Mixer. This filter provides narrow-band selectivity to protect the following IF and DSP stages ..."

In order to "see" anything more than a few away from the rig's receive frequency, you would likely need to tap ahead of the roofing filter. My Kenwood TS-850S does this, mixing down to the 8.83 Mhz IF for the noise blanker. They included an output for the "bandscope" (nee panoramic display) unit.

Apparently, most modern RTL units can work with the high (over 50 MHz) 1st IF. Depending on the need, at most, you'd need some kind of simple buffer amplifier inside your rig.

10. W9WQA

the article above details the connection points.but he uses a h b lna with hi z to minimize loading. i dont see any.
    all the srd stuff i see and have covers "dc to light" so thats not a problem.

and,yeah,i spel yaasue however my right index finger feels like !!