Icom 7300, id-1-ic adapter, and a PC headset

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KE0BXN, Oct 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VA7CPC

VA7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW --

Read Heil's "All Things ICOM" page.

If the IC-7300 has inadequate mic gain, for the mic you're using, turn on the COMPressor and see if that helps. I don't know what the stock mic is, but some of the older Icom's used amplified mics, and had no mic preamps. I hope the IC-7300 hasn't gone back to that way of working.

. Charles

2. VA7CPC

VA7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

3. OH3EVM

OH3EVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

Iḿ interested in putting the KOSS SB45 on test on my IC-7300, and i would like to ask if there is any difference whether i plug it in the ACC on back of my IC 7300 or with the adapter to the FRONT mic connector? Iḿ cabable of doing wirings myself, and as my radio came with the ACC plug with wires, it would be easier to "do" ?

Thanks for all the replies!

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be rare for a PC headset to not have an electret mic element. They are incredibly inexpensive and small.
    Not all electret mics are super sensitive however. Sensitivity levels can vary a lot with them. From what I remember reading about it, PC's have a lot of boost for lower sensitivity mic elements so a particularly sensitive one is not all that necessary.

5. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Koss SB-40 uses a dynamic element. I've used one for years on many Yaesu, Kenwood and now Icom (756PRO3) radios. No need to fuss with voltages and the mic sounds great. Best $40 I ever spent in this hobby.

6. W6GRD

W6GRD Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Koss SB-45 fed into a K6VHF adapter and have to reduce microphone gain when switching from hand mic to the headset. I'd look into the stereo to mono adapter angle.

7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Good deal! Many electret mics pick up too much background noise. They are often very sensitive so pick up everything. I quit using them although they are fun to experiment with.

8. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to use a mono to stereo adapter between the Heil adapter and the PC headset in order to properly bias the mic. Heil places the bias on the tip along with the mic output on their headsets. Most PC headsets use a stereo TRS connector with bias on the ring and mic output on the tip. If you use a mono plug to stereo jack, it will send the bias to the element and keep the output on the tip.

9. VK4DNA

VK4DNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Plantronics 380 headset and made my own adapter. I use 25 for the mice gain and compression is 1, for challenging DX contacts 40 for mic gain and 4 on compression.
    Audio reports for the Plantronics 380 are better than the standard Icom hand mic.

10. KE0BXN

KE0BXN Ham Member QRZ Page

So if I buy a stereo to mono 3.5mm adapter that should work?