Icom 7300, id-1-ic adapter, and a PC headset

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KE0BXN, Oct 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0BXN

KE0BXN Ham Member QRZ Page

I just purchased an id-1-ic adapter and plugged it into my ic-7300 with a pc headset. It has the separate mic and headphone jacks. I am unable to get any mic input to the rig. Has anyone had any experience with this that could give me a hand?

Thank you
    Ke0bxn

2. N4IAG

N4IAG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A few possibilities: The adapter is wired incorrectly or the PC headset is defective (or doesn't have an electret element). What headset is it? I've successfully used Koss headsets with electret elements and a Sennheiser gaming headset on my IC-7300 using an adapter purchased on eBay.

Does the headset work properly when plugged into the PC? You can make a test recording with Windows sound recorder.

3. KE0BXN

I have used a rocket fish Gaming headset as well as a brand new plantronics audio.355. Neither one seems to work with the rig but works fine on the PC. I kinda doubt the heil adapter is defective, however I have seen stranger things.

4. N4IAG

If the headset is good, that only leaves the wiring of the adapter. The wires may be on the wrong pins - it happens. Does the radio go into transmit mode when the PTT is pushed? If not, does the mic modulate when the transmit button on the radio is pushed? If it does, that means a problem with the PTT switch or its wiring. That's all I've got.

5. KE0BXN

The foot PTT Works great just don't see any modulation from the mic when keying

6. N4IAG

Did you check the adapter wiring? This is from Heil's website.

Pin 1: Microphone In*
    Pin 5: PTT
    Pin 6: PTT Ground
    Pin 7: Microphone Ground

*Pin 1 also carries voltage for the electret elements used in Icom mics. This voltage must be blocked for use of dynamic elements.

7. KE0BXN

I haven't tested it yet...i will do that when i get home.

8. KE0BXN

So I just had a thought...coild it be that the heil adapter is setup for a mono plug and the mic has a stereo plug?

K4RKY likes this.
  9. KE0BXN

I got the wiring figured out. The mic power and ground were run together. The mic audio is super low though. I have the mic gain all the way up and the alc only moves a little.

10. N4IAG

I don't know if it's a Plantronics thing or not but I have Plantronics Gamecom headset that is like that. It has very low transmit audio. I bought it cheap and thought it was bad. I had them replace it, and that one also had low mic volume. It also had low volume on my PC.

The ones that I've tried so far that work great are a Koss SB45, Koss CS100, and Sennheiser Game One.

I hope you get it sorted out.