ad: ProAudio-1

Icom 7300 + Heil PR781 Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Jan 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4MDM

W4MDM Ham Member QRZ Page

W4MDM
    HAVE BEEN WORKING THE PR781 FOR YEARS ON ICOM EQUIPMENT AS WELL AS THE YAESU FOR YEARS AND HAVE OUTSTANDING SMOOTH AUDIO!
    SOLD THE RE27 AND RE20 AFTER COMPAIRING REPORTS...ANOTHER FAV IS THE GOLD LINE GM-5 WORKS GREAT CHECK US OUT ON 3938 " THE LEARNING FREQUENCY"
    ICOM 7300 7610 746 PRO
    YARSU 1000MP FTDX5000 73, BIG D

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Use the PR-781 with the Ten Tec Orion II. There's sufficient TX audio adjustment in the rig for my purposes. For my solid state AM transmitter I use an outboard device in the form of a PreSonis audio channel and a separate noise gate. Receive great audio reports with both set-ups.

3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is your channel monetized?

4. WW1I

WW1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It has 40db of rear rejection. You're not going to hear my keyboard click away, echos around the room, and the constant blower noise from my AL-1500. I gain down and have the element touch close and all you hear is me. I have a HM-12, and it is a very good little mic. I can 100% hear the difference between the PR-40 and the HM-12 at 3KCs wide. Slam dunk obvious to most half deaf hams. Run a little wider at 4KCs, even more obvious. Wider yet on AM, even more obvious. Wider yet on FM, more again. I have six different mic profiles in the Flex from contest to FM, each with a specific role, but it always starts at the mic. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

Let's be clear, a modest mic like the HM-12, with proper EQ, can sound just great. Does anyone need a PR-781 or PR-40 to have effective communications?.....of course not! It is a luxury that I can afford and I enjoy. You can buy whatever mic you want, and if a $39 mic works for you, have fun in the hobby and enjoy!

AB0R and K3XR like this.
  5. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

You are aware of the IARU and FCC limitation of 2700Hz bandwidth below 29.7 MHz? Or to put it bluntly: using 4Kc bandwidth is illegal. So the only purpose of all those expensive mikes is to fill the pockets of the sellers, IMO.

As for the rear rejection: every doubling of distance to your mike decreases the sound pressure with 6dB. So if you keep even the cheapest cardoid mike 0.5 inch from your mouth, the sound pressure has decreased with 30dB at 20 inch distance from the front of the mike. Imagine what the surpression at the back side would be.

6. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You might want to check your research. You are incorrect on multiple points.

7. PA0MHS

Apparently. IARU bandplans seem to be a recommendation indeed.

8. WW1I

It is against the law to run wider than 2.7KCs on HF SSB. Link to USC or FCC law or regulation please.

Your understanding of mic directional gain should not be conflated to distance. Very odd point.

9. WW1I

That isn’t US Federal law, and that isn’t a FCC regulation. His claim is that it is illegal to run wider than 2.7KCs wide.

10. PA0MHS

I understand the difference very well. My point is that sometimesyou don't need a high directional characteristic at a higher cost if you can achieve the same effect with increasing the difference in distance between wanted and unwanted sounds.

11. WW1I

Apparently you don’t. In my opinion, the mic should always be touch close. My mics are end fire, pointed directly at me and away from noise sources. I can’t get any closer, no matter which mic I use. Mic gain is set for that distance. Rear and side rejection will lower room noise, and that is important to ME. If it isn’t to you, nobody is busy telling you what to buy. Your point seems to conflate two different variables, and this engineer fails to grasp your point. Honestly, we’re just going to need to disagree. If your equipment works for you and you have fun in the hobby, you’re doing something right and enjoy.

Also, please show me in the Federal USC or FCC regulation where running wider than 2.7KCs is illegal.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  12. PA0MHS

My point was that a cardoid pattern isn't all that important if you are almost touching the mike with your mouth, because the ratio between your voice and room noise gets very large when you speak into the mike that close.

And regarding the FCC regulations about 2.7 kHz bandwidth: I already admitted I was wrong about that a couple of posts back.

13. EA5IGO

EA5IGO Ham Member QRZ Page

For me the SM-50 from Icom comes out much better than the heil.

14. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

bottom line the IC Heil is still the best ALLAROUND microphone
    He is perfectly correct on the way you have to set the 40 or PR781/ just open up all the gain controls to the right/ the problem is you still have to be right up against the mic to drive it.
    Unless you using outboard preamp of some kind which I don't like it's just adding more junk in the line that isn't needed.
    For $100 you get the microphone to cord and plug just go with the IC and use your 781 on your IC7851!

15. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

hard to believe that cheap,penny pinching, tightwad,hamfest scrounging hams like me would spend a nickle on an aftermarket mic to use on an expensive radio that came with a perfectly good mic to start with.

guys say,"your 7300 sounds great" all i need

PA0MHS and K0UO like this.