ad: Radclub22-1

ICOM 7300 and HM-219 Stock Mic: Over-the-air DX test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KE0EYJ, Feb 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Can the 7300 be modified to TX and RX a 5000-7500 Hz bandwidth on AM?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No ,"Cheap" means poor quality. Inexpensive means inexpensive.

Comparing items from eBay based purely on price is useless for evaluating performance and quality.

You need to test and compare performance for proper evaluation.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Assuming that is true, then BRAVO! for Bob and hamdom. We got a new product that filled a need. :)

Odd that Bob would find a manufacturer that would consistently produce 'defective' microphone elements for over 35 years. ;)

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

They were called rejects at the time; I have no idea about the interim to 2017 nor did I even suggest it

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might be an enginerd

Actually, cheap is a synonym for inexpensive and that's exactly what I put in my post.

Cheap
    (of an item for sale) low in price; worth more than its cost.
    "they bought some cheap fruit"
    synonyms: inexpensive, low-priced, low-cost, economical, competitive, affordable, reasonable, reasonably priced, budget, economy, bargain, downmarket, cut-rate, reduced, discounted, discount, rock-bottom, giveaway, bargain-basement, low-end, dirt cheap

No where in Webster does it say poor quality.

Now... You can try a dozen of those elements ... you'll find that the frequency response is just about the same for all of them on a scope. Nature of the design of those electret capsules.

Theyre cheap and they work. you can get 5 for a buck, plus 2.99 shipping and they sound great. Check the spec sheets. Pretty impressive for next to nothing.

Those guys shelling out the big bucks for the voodoo audio nonsense are being misled ... a fool and his money...

Good night mrs crabapple.

6. W5ACA

W5ACA Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, and your point is? Does a microphone have to be expensive to be be good? Or does it have to be cheap to be good? Or visa versa? I know what your getting at, and yes you can build your own from a cheap RS mic. Also, I seen the photo before and I took mine apart and my microphone had more to it then the one in your photo (which there are more photos that goes with the one you posted)....Also, Heil states what kind of mic element is in the mic on their web sit...It should not have been a supersize to what kind of element it had in side, and that should not make a bad microphone and have had no problem with the button as I use a hand or foot PTT. No board inside because the microphone gets what it needs from the radio...anyway I was just saying, I have gotten great reports with both the stock mic which I like very well and use most often, and I have received great reports with the Heil iCM... I don't want to sound like some "talk show radio host" I want to sound like me. I also made a statement that you can monitor your self with head phones on the ic-7300 with the monitor feature of the radio and should help with the adjustment of the highs and lows. I think they put these features in the radio for a reason. Well you sound like you want to through your head set? Or will you sound like you want to to the other person?

7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, the headset monitor on the 7300 does not reflect audio changes made, much at all.

As per the ICM, you are right, they do mention it on the website.