iCom 718

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AC1CX, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AC1CX

AC1CX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking of purchasing a used iCom718 from a reputable dealer who advises it has been checked to factory specs, with 30 Day Warranty. Understand 718’s May have a trimming cap problem causing low audio on Xmit. Price seems to be a bit on high end ofnrealsnsble. Thoughts on purchase?

KA6IBM likes this.
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

If the cost is at the higher end of reasonable I am not impressed, it better come with the original box and accessories. There is something to having even a 30 day warranty and that may be a factor in the price. I always wonder about the claim of a radio being checked to factory specs. Did they really have it on the bench and checked through it or is it just working fine and they make that claim? I am skeptical of that.
    One thing I have learned about good deals is that there is always another one down the road if you are not in a big hurry. At a certain point of considering the used price I am more interested in what I could get that is new instead.

WG7X, W5VTC and K3EY like this.
  3. AC1CX

AC1CX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thnx Had chart of Xmit outputs apparently from bench testing. One thing taking a chance on a $100 UHf Kenwood (as recently did) hut another at the $400 -$500 level. Others in running are new Alenco DXRT8T and used Kenwood 430 S

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With the 718 going for around 600 bucks (or less) now...I'd probably opt for new. Haven't heard of that particular problem with the 718...the hand mike Icom ships with its rigs ain't nothing to write home about, which is usually the source of any less than good sounding audio with their rigs. As for the Alinco? If they're practically giving it away, why not? If they are not, well, it's not really much of a rig. The 718 is really much better.

WG7X, W4IOA and AC1CX like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get a lot more radio for similar money these days. I don't know why Icom continues the 718, since it is very underequipped for modern band conditions. Maybe they are keeping a single non-DSP radio for people who refuse to buy DSP radios. But by the time you put the hardware filters in it to make it usable for CW and digimodes, you could get a 7100 or 7200 that can do all kinds of IF filter widths in software.

The 718 isn't a bad radio, but unless you are planning only to ragchew on SSB on weeknights, you will quickly outgrow it.

AC1CX likes this.
  6. W1PPP

W1PPP Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a 718 and really liked it. Seemed bulletproof probably because it is so basic. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if that's any recommendation.

AC1CX likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Alinco has some serious limitations; the TS-430S was a great rig, but that was 32 years ago -- it's "old."

I would not spend >$400 on a used IC-718 when a new one is only $200 more.

If this is for a "home station" exclusively, and not for mobile/portable/battery operation ever, an older hybrid rig can be extremely reliable and better performance than any of those listed: Such as a TS-830S, FT-901DM, FT-102, etc. which can be found at the same or lower cost and do not require an external 14Vdc power supply (which itself can cost $100-$200) and may not require any kind of antenna tuner since the hybrid rigs can load safely into mismatches without the need for a tuner.

After 52+ years hamming with scores of different rigs, I'd much rather have an old TS-830S (which can be found for ~$400 and has its own internal power supply and won't need a tuner unless your antennas are seriously mismatched) than a brand-new Alinco or IC-718.

W9RLG, N5PAR, W4IOA and 1 other person like this.
  8. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I owned a 718 for about a year. Purchased used from a local ham. In the time I owned it, it was trouble free. However, I didn't think it was that great of a performer. Receive sensitivity is fair at best, and the receive audio is awful. Budget for an external speaker - you'll need it. Selectivity is also fair at best, and the internal filters are expensive. I used an outboard audio filter, which helped, but it's was yet another piece of gear to have on my desk.....

The stock hand mic is just okay, but can be improved very easily. Icom installs a cotton filter in front of the mic element. It's there to cut back on excess sibilance, but in reality just makes the mic sound muffled. Just open the mic case and remove the piece of cotton. The transmit audio will be much improved.

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $400 on a 718, and that's on the high side. For just a little more, you can get a Yaesu FT-450, which is a much better performer, and much more feature-rich.

AC1CX likes this.
  9. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a pre DSP IC 718 and it seemed to have no issues. I ran it in conjunction with a 5btv antenna at the low end of the last solar cycle and made some of my best contacts barefoot. I use headphones so that in of itself improved it's receive. Great radio and I my only complaint would be it doesn't connect straight to the computer for digital like newer radios. I also like the size of the radio, it fits nicely on the desk and has a proper sized VFO knob. I wouldn't by used unless it's simply a financial crisis, new prices aren't much more, especially if you're buying used from a dealer.

10. W5VTC

W5VTC Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a Kenwood TS-570D(G) in excellent condition for $425. I was so impressed with it, I gave my almost brand new FT-450D to my nephew who recently earned his General. I've looked at 718's a lot and for the price new, I would of gone that way. I have a buddy who owns a Alinco DXR8T and he's been trying to get rid of it for well over a year and no takers. Having listened to it, the receive leaves much to be desired (to my old ears). If I had only the choice between the DXR8T and the 718, the 718 would win every time. But, new would be the only way I would do it.