ad: FlagAnt-1

Icom 718 control?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KV4JW, Nov 10, 2018 at 3:25 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Icom 718, and I'd like to control the rig with HamRadioDeluxe software for logging, etc. I already have a MFJ-1204 USB radio interface soundcard box, but I understand this is only for sending/receiving audio to the transceiver for digital modes.

I need to be able to use my computer to actually control the transceiver.

Can someone point me to what cable I'd need for this, please? I know there are many "cheap knockoff" cables out there that are hit or miss, and I'd like to avoid those if possible. Quality is important here. :)

Thanks!

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct, the MFJ-1204 will only handle sending and receiving audio. However, the MFJ-1204 is a nice interface. It has a built in sound card, audio in/out controls, and can activate PTT. These are all good things.

To control your radio from a computer, you will need another interface. A quick sarch brought up a couple of possibilities. This one is the best.

Valley Enterprises Icom CT-17 USB FTDI Chipset CI-V Cat Control Programming Cable 3 Feet

Others were either not available or too costly.

Another option is to build your own interface. I have a IC-735 and made my own interface. Its a simple 4 transistor interface that converts from RS-232 to CI-V. I can use HRD, Fldigi, DxLab, or any other software that communicates with radios. Here is a link to my web page on ICOM IC-735 - Digital Modes.

KV4JW likes this.
  3. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, just ordered it. :)