ad: chuckmartin

Icom 718 and Ameritron 811H Cables

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WR5TX, Mar 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WR5TX

WR5TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,
    I am new at using a tube amplifier, I have only used solid state mobile amps in the past. However, I recently acquired an Ameritron 811H amp and I want to use it with my Icom IC-718. I have been researching this configuration and I am still not sure which way to go.....I want to know if I need to get the ARB-704 or can I just use the "plug & play" cables? or do I need both? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

73 es tnx!

Royce
    WR5TX

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ARB-704 or any other external interface is not needed with that rig and amplifier.

3. WR5TX

Thanks for the response, but can you please tell me what cables I DO NEED to connect the radio to the amp?

Thanks,

Royce

4. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

#1 a coax jumper from 718 output to 811H input.
    #2 a keying line from the 718 to the 811 H (the 718 manual should give you all the detail you need to construct one)

5. WR5TX

Thanks for replying back to me...

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd connect the ALC line also, usually, although an IC-718 probably cannot overdrive an AL-811H; however it's reasonable protection for mistuning.

If you don't LOAD the amp properly (a common newbie problem, not a problem for experienced ops), grid current can soar to potentially destructive levels even though plate current is fairly low. The ALC connection can limit that if you just set it at 150 mA or something.

I don't have an IC-718 and never did, so not sure how well its ALC responds to the amp. It might be worth a try.

7. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

A review of the manuals is in order. Page 14 of the 718 manual explains both ALC and keying [send] line.. Do not exceed 16 VDC 2 Amps, the AL-811H keying circuit does neither.. Audio leads with RCA plugs on each end will work just fine for both..

8. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Nick, nice to see you here. Hope all is well.

9. WR5TX

Hello,

And where do I know you from?

10. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is your name Nick?