Icom 7100 audio problem

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC7RVK, Mar 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC7RVK

KC7RVK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My 3 year old Icom 7100 works great except for one new problem. Some times when the audio knob is set at a high audio output level the audio overloads the radio and powers the radio off. Problem is about 2 months old.

Denny

KC7RVK

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How does the audio sound? Normal?

3. KI7SYG

KI7SYG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm having problems with my ic7100 shutting down, too. I never noticed if the audio level had anything to do with it, but the volume knob is always at 50% or higher. I can't reproduce the problem, it seems to be random.

KD8ZMN likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a very common complaint among 7100 owners. This happened to many people early on, and I don't know if there has ever been a fix for it.

The most common solution I have seen/read is to just use an external speaker, rather than the one built into the control head. That's what I do with the 7100 in my truck.

KI7SYG and W1TRY like this.
  5. KC7RVK

Thank you for the information. I haven't had this problem until recently. In the truck and in the shack. I do often use head phones in the truck.
    Denny
    KC7RVK

6. K5TEN

K5TEN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a new ICOM 7100 owner I appreciate the heads up. I'm normally a "headset" guy though. :)

7. KC7RVK

8. K9TJL

K9TJL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have owned my IC 7100 since 2017. Yes i have experienced as above. Normally its turned above 50 Per cent. audio volume. Turning the rig back on starts back to normal. I like the 7100 very much as well as the 7300.
    using internal/external i don't feel it makes a difference which speaker mode. K9TJL

9. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

I own a 7100 too and have experienced the same problem. I was not aware that the issue is caused by high audio volume. I routinely run my audio output high. Talking to my ham buddies over breakfast they thought it may be my power supply.

How was it determined that running audio over 50% causes the "reboot"? The last time this happened it ruined a QSO I was having. After the 3rd reboot I said 73 and haven't turned the radio back on again. (I have a 7200 as well with no issues)

10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anytime I see a shutdown like that, I suspect power supply. I 'repaired' three different half dead ICOMs last year simply by changing the fuses and carefully cleaning the fuse holders. Both the old style glass fuses and newer blade units become more resistive over time. The blade units corrode rather rapidly. It's hard to imagine it drawing enough current on receive to cause this, but checking supply voltage at the radio would not be a bad idea.