ICOM 706-MK2G or Yaesu FT-100D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KG4ZEG, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KG4ZEG

KG4ZEG Ham Member QRZ Page

I am new to ham radio and looking to buy a HF radio. I came accross these two and was wondering which would be better. They are both priced about the same, but the Yaesu offered a antenna that has a built-in tuner. I was planning on buying the Icom and using a couple of ham sticks and automatic tuner. Has anyone used one of the Yaesu antennas, part # ATAS-120 before and how well did it work? I have to be honest, the Yaesu looks good, if the antenna performs well. Thanks for any comments. [​IMG]

2. KB9YKY

KB9YKY Banned QRZ Page

You can use a screwdriver antenna with virtually any transceiver.

3. KG4WRA

KG4WRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I would recommend the Icom 706. I have used it for 70cm, 2m, 6m, and several HF bands under my dad's priviledges (I'm only a technician). It goes all the way to the 160m band! It's very easy to use as well. I like how it can work on both VHF and HF. I have used it to contact many people several times. I contacted a man in Australia once, while sitting in my basement here in Atlanta, GA. The size is also convenient. Icom is just flat out a great brand. I would recommend it over Yaesu.

Michael
    KG4WRA

4. KG4FET

KG4FET Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT 100 is by far the better choice! First let me tell you about the ATAS 120 antenna first. This is the antenna you are asking about.
    The ATAS 120 offers good performance on 70 cm -40 mtrs. On 2 mtrs and 70 cm it is not great but does the job well. I have used an ATAS 100 which is primarily the same antenna for a year or so now and it is wonderful. I just recently was given a diplexer (needed to work 2 mtrs and 70 cm with the one feed line) and I have been able to carry on simplex QSO at 50 + miles with it and reach distant and local repeaters with no trouble on both bands. On 10 -20 mts the antenna is a wonder to behold. If you can hear them you can work them! On 40 mtrs you can expect to be able to talk withing 500 miles with ease giving you the oportunity to check into local nets and carry on QSO's comfortably with in a great distance under good band conditions. IT IS NOT A DX antenna on 40 mtrs though and a HIGH SERRIA 1500 would be the better choice. I absolutly love my ATAS 100 and would not trade it for the world. Dispite the words to the contrary mine is mag mounted BTW with a set of "guy" wires to keep the mag from lifting.
    Now on to the 100/706 comparison. I am a tad biased since I have a 100D but there is a reason for that. Depending on what you want to do with the rig, mobile/base or mobile and base operation the 100 offers some great features. First for the mobile operator. A Noise Blanker that really works! It is also variable which is a great feature. It is one of the best NB's on the Market today. Progamable mic buttons. this allows you to get the buttons on the mic to do many other functoins like changing modes, bands (for quick QSY's), ect. Easy removal of power cord conncetion points so the cord can be run easily without cutting it. The 100/100D has one of the best front ends of any rig I have ever used mobile on V/UHF. Intermod is not a worry with the 100's. I can use mine in places where the 706 and most other rigs cannot due to the receive. I have had and still hear guys with 706's going through areas I travel regularly saying they have to get off the air until they pass a certain ares becase the intermod is so terrible. And me right behind them carrying on the QSO. Thisis no joke. Adjustable DSP settings for those noisey conditions in the vehicle. For the base operation and general comparisons. CTCSS Decode in the FT 100D and an option for the 100 and a great feature. Easy menu functions and single button shortcuts to many often used features. Easy sey up of all Data modes using the DATA JACK rather then tieing up a mic plug. Both can be hooked up at the same time and used at the same time as well. The 100 has the widest RX capability and when "opened up" has the widest TX of just about any rig on the market including the 706. The RX'er is better overall out of the box then the 706. On paper they compare favorably as to RX'er preformance, BUT in the real world which is where you will be using the rig I have found the S/N ratio to be much better on the 100. On the same antenna system both mobile and fixed the 100 out hears and has a quieter RX'er then the 706. I have done this several times in mobiles and a couple of times on a fixed station. Neither 100 I have owned has been anything other then stock as the factory sent it out.
    DRAWBACKS: The 100 does not have direct freq entry from the mic, but neither does the 706. Cannot control or manage memories from CAT, and last No way to cross band. The 100 cannot be used as a repeater. I did not think this a big deal until I bought a 500mW HT.
    If you have any other specific questions about the FT 100 I will be happy to answer them. Please Email me at kg4fet@aol.com
    73 and Good Luck
    DE KG4FET Sandor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.