ICOM 706 DISPLAY PROBLEM

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WN2SQC, Nov 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WN2SQC

WN2SQC Ham Member QRZ Page

My 706MK2G display has developed an interesting problem. It started when I put the rig in it’s original box and into a picnic cooler to protect it from Hurricane Matthew, just in case. There was no water infiltration into the house or the cooler so I’m stumped. There is 15K of external house damage. The electric was off for five days so no AC. I assume it’s condensation on the inside but not sure. It’s been a month and it hasn’t changed. I left the rig on for days and the heat buildup didn’t change anything. Wonder if anyone has seen this or knows what’s going on? Any ideas or comments would be appreciated before I disassemble the display.
    Thanks, Ken
    ICOM 706 DISPLAY.jpg

2. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at the picture it looks like dust build up on the glass, due to static charges, I have had this many a time in various equipment, led or LCD TVs, even had them on CRT TV sets that have a removable filter screen to aid contrast.

The LCD display would be protected by the front panel, probably want a clean with a dry clean duster.

Dave.

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

There are some videos on you tube about that problem but they are not done in English although I may have missed one. It looks like you would have to replace the LCD display glass. You'll probably find some info about it in the Yahoo user group for the 706.
    I have seen some LCD bleeding before but it was always a more defined area that just grew over time. Usually starting at one end or a corner. Yours looks like more of an LCD bruise!

WA4SIX likes this.
  4. WN2SQC

Hi guys, thanks. I cleaned the front of the display, no change. When you say a bruised LCD I'm not sure what you mean. There doesn't seem to be any way the front glass could be pushed against the LCD when it was stored in the original ICOM packaging.

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Usually what I have seen is an LCD that is going dark. The LCD starts going dark from one side or the other or some corner and the darkness over time infiltrates or "bleeds" into more and more of the display like a cancer! I just replaced an LCD on a Kenwood TH6A that I got very cheap because of it.

Yours looks different and just looks like more of an LCD "bruise" than the perhaps more common LCD bleeding I have seen. It doesn't mean that I though someone hit the display, just that it gives the appearance of a bruise.

The result is the same from what I gather from YouTube videos about the 706 display, replace the LCD piece. There is some teardown to get to it but with some care and patience it is not difficult. If you do not feel comfortable with it, find a shop that can do it for you. Call Icom about getting the part needed.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  6. WN2SQC

Thank you, now I know what to do. I'll check YouTube for the videos. ICOM should have the LCD
    unit as this model was discontinued only a few years ago.

7. WN2SQC

Turns out that ICOM in Washington doesn't have the LCD. I asked ICOM Washington for leads on other ICOM locations.
    Does anyone have any ideas where I might check?

8. W3RU

W3RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I just ran across this thread.

I recently noticed the display on my '706 is starting to develop a dark spot dead center in the display glass. It actually looks just about the same as the picture in the OP at the top of this posting page, but not nearly as large. I am not really certain if this is just on the front panel glass, or in the LCD display module itself - it kind of looks like a dust spot such as found on TV glass of yesteryear from HV static attraction by the CRT.

My IC-706 is mounted at the low in-dash area of my Silverado truck and is resident 100% of the time in the Florida heat, but the module is never really in direct sunlight and the sun shades are always in place behind the windows except when driving.

Are there any updates on taking care of this problem? Are required replacement parts still available from ICOM? My model is actually the earlier IC-706 (not MK2 or G upgrades).

Thanks for the help and info.

Jack W3RU

9. WN2SQC

Hi Jack, as the photo shows my 706MK2G display started as the larger dark gray blob. I also assumed dust and disassembled the front panel only to find it wasn't dust. ICOM and several hams who repair ICOM radios did not have LCD screen units. You have several options, find a replacement front panel, replace the polarized film covering on the LCD or use it as is since it's probably readable, mine was readable but looked terrible.

I viewed a couple of U-tube videos that shows the replacement process. It's not that hard if you're handy and careful. If you contact me directly I can provide a source of the polarized film and step by step instructions in English. One can only assume the LCD polarized film in the 706 is the same as the 706MK2G. However, in any case I assume no liability if you try the repair. Ken

K3RLD likes this.
  10. W3RU

W3RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ken,

Did you manage to do this repair yourself?

I saw the Portuguese video (with the audio off), and am concerned about the white strips on the top and bottom edge where they meet the glass. I don't understand the technology, and really messed up one of my free Harbor Freight DMM's with those strips on the LCD display. I assume these are the conductive paths from the chips which activate the LCD segments - I just don't understand how they make contact.

I did learn the early '706 and later MK2 and G front control heads are not interchangeable and have different functionality. Also, the early '706 units are not readily available as parts units - it's a hit or miss deal. Lots of Mk2G's around, but way over-priced.

I now understand why there is so much bad press around concerning ICOM with respect to the parts and service concerns. I reverted back to boat anchors a long time ago. Can you just imagine what it costs to get one of these newer "waterfall" units repaired, along with parts availability uncertainty? Not for me.

PM sent for the polarized film info and instructions.

Thanks.

Jack W3RU