ad: M2Ant-1

Icom - 7000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K4KGB, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K4KGB

K4KGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies everyone. Guess its FT-857D time it appears. Shame, really liked the look of the 7000.

2. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had my 7000 for a couple of years. Used it in the shack to begin with and only recently
    started using it in an 18 wheeler. (a rock truck working in the oilfield) I don't have the radio
    buried under anything. It is mounted with the factory bracket(faceplate attached) to an overhead
    console that normally houses a CB inside. Didn't want to put the 7000 in that cubby hole, so, put
    it down below. Runs cool as can be. I leave it on all day. (the cb is mounted on the dash below, got
    to have that for work) I have not noticed the radio getting any hotter than it did when I used it
    in the shack. It handles a rough ride as good as any radio I have had.
    I think the problems on the Yahoo Group (I'm a member of that one too) are not nearly as much as
    it would appear. Read the reviews on eHam or someplace like that. People tend to post more when they
    have problems. (which is good in a way, as it can alert you to potential problems) And satisfied users
    rarely post on Yahoo. And of course, there are a lot of 7000 owners who don't bother with internet
    user groups in the first place.
    No doubt that the radio has had problems. But, then again, so does every other radio out there.
    Personally, I like the 7000 and the display is easy to read. Only rig close to it for readability to me,
    is the Kenwood TS-480 radios. Those have great displays and are easy to see. The 7000 is very easy
    to see too. Just a tiny bit of difference too. AND once you have the 7000, there is no extra filters to buy.
    Being all digital , they are built in. And work quite well. The 7000's Noise handling features are the only
    one's that have come close to getting rid of noise generated from my truck's computer. ( 2007 Kenworth
    with a Caterpillar engine) It does not completely eliminate it, but, it knocks it down to very acceptable
    levels. And still I'm able to hear and work plenty of stations with it. Other radios I've used could not handle
    the problem anywhere near as well as the 7000 does.
    Did I mention I like my 7000? :D
    Good luck on what ever rig you decide on. But, don't pass up the 7000 over a few reports of problems.
    james
    WD5GWY

3. KD2CJJ

KD2CJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have this radio and currently use it as my primary home rig for hf VHF and UHF. I mostly do ssb fm and digital psk and rtty. I have it hooked up to a dipole and end fed. I also have a ldg tuner nicely integrated with the rig. All in all is a great radio. Yes it gets warm with digital but never in the red. Its dsp is great and i especially like the band scope . You won't be disappointed.

4. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

And, if you look at trouble reports on the FT-857 (in all it's flavors) you might not want it either? Besides, the display is awful and the menuing system is WAY too complicated, making it marginal at best for mobile use.

5. K8DXX

K8DXX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had one for over 5 years. They do get warm but I've never had a failure. I know another fairly new ham who has probably subjected his '7000 to a few low blows and again, no problem. Next to my Flex 5000, it's my favorite radio.

6. PT7MD

PT7MD Ham Member QRZ Page

Tenho um e funciona muito bem.

7. K8AC

K8AC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's at least one other problem you should consider. See Rob Sherwood's presentation from the Dayton Hamvention - 2007, where he addressed a specific problem with the IC-7000. You can find the presentation on the left side of his site near the top under the title: "DSP Radios - Not Perfect".

8. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you might not like the FT due to the smaller display that's why I have the 7000 other bonus with the 7k display is you can change it from black, white and blue. Just a thought.

9. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly, anyone who is stupid enough to pile other equipment on top of any radio, (especially one in a small case like the Icom 7000) deserves what they get. I mean really, do they think the heat is going to escape out of the back of the rig when the fan is on the top of the radio?

As I said I used mine on a daily basis for over a year. On phone and a lot of digital, a lot of that was Olivia. Kept the power level down, and I did add a small 12 vdc fan in behind the rig. Not that I really needed it but it was there.

No smoke, and two years later the rig still works like it did the day I took it out of the box. Sure I do not use it constantly because I have a FT-950. But I still use it.

Give the radio room to breath, don't abuse it by trying to use it on an antenna that has a 4:1 SWR and it will fine. I honestly believe that most of those smoking 7000's were due to operator negligence.

10. NZ9Y

NZ9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had both. I learned having a radio where you can actually GET TO the functions when you need them was sort of important. I now own 2 IC-7000's. One is a mobile rig and gets used from 80M to 440 all day everyday. It endures extreme heat, cold, dozens of ignition powercycles daily and runs like a champ. Paired with a screwdriver and BetterRF screwdriver/tunecontrol makes it the most functional mobile config I've ever seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.