ICOM 7000 Clicks but wont power up

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KD5KOT, Jul 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD5KOT

KD5KOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an ICOM 7000 with the LDG AT 7000 tuner and a sec1235M power supply. I used it on a limited basis in Houston with no problem. I had to move and boxed it all up and put it in storage because I just couldnt operate in the HOA neighborhood. 4 years later I've moved and unboxed it to get on the air.

I connect everything and it will not power up. 1235M registers 14 volts static. I've cleaned the fuses and tried the cpu reset. All connections seem to be good. 14 volts does arrive at the radio end of the power cord. I'm stumped. My next step is to send it our for repair but I wanted to see if anyone has encountered this or maybe has some suggestions. I tried it in my vehicle(while it was running) and nothing. How can something be working when you put it away and then not even power up?

This machine is pristine and looks brand new. I didn't get to use it much and most of my use was just listening in since I couldn't transmit very well in the houston neighborhood.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Jon Dunn
    KD5KOT
    Thank you.

2. KD5KOT

One more tidbit of info: pressing power gives me an audible click and then a second audible click. I assume that is a relay

3. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

The audible click you hear is the main DC power relay. From your description, it sounds like the relay activates and then drops back out immediately. Suggestion: Remove the detachable front panel from the radio and clean the contacts which connect the front panel to the main body of the radio. Use a small cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol. No guarantee that this is going to cure the problem, but it's a potential cause.

K9ASE likes this.
  4. KD5KOT

Thank you Dean I will give that a try.
    Jon Dunn
    KD5KOT