Icom 7000 cat problem (was working ok).

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by SV2EVS, Jul 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey everyone,

I was using fine my IC-7000 and with the cat cable to logger32 i was able to use the cat control to log my operating frequency. Suddenly after probably a thunderstorm, my cat control stopped responding. It seems that the rig doesn't communicate anymore with the computer, but psk with signalink is working ok, so the radio receives signals ok. Other problem is no waterfall on WSJT-X but receives signals as well.

Driving me nuts...any hints ?

2. SV2EVS

anyone out there that might have some ideas ?

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What OS is your computer running ?

4. SV2EVS

windows 10 pro...

5. KA9JLM

I think the thunderstorm may have been a coincident.

Could have been a Win 10 update that changed some security settings.

For your safety of course.

6. SV2EVS

That whould be nice, i hope you aren't wrong about the thunderstorm...but still trying to figure it out...changing settings from time to time now to see if something happens...

7. KA9JLM

Try this.

Go into Settings/Privacy/Microphone and make sure "Allow Apps to access your microphone". This should fix the sound card problem. You might, at the same time, turn OFF those devices that this activates (immediately below the mic switch) that you don't want on.

Good Luck

8. SV2EVS

Did a reset on the wsjt-x program from the menu, seems that its working but again no cat...someone suggested a driver error...can this be ?

9. KA9JLM

Yes it can be a driver problem.

Windows 10 is most likely not liking hardware that Microsoft has not blessed.

Look in Control Panel / Device Manager to see if that is the case.

10. NU4Y

NU4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Doubt that it is a driver error. Take a measurement from the 2 pin plug (remote jack) ring of plug to ground of radio. Make sure it is under 1 ohm. Also take scope (maybe a meter if it is fast enough) from ring to tip with radio turned on and turning the tuning dial should have about 3 volts of data coming from the radio to go to computer. If you do not have this there is a problem in the radio.\

If ring of jack is not ground, you probably have an open ferrite bead either EP2404 or EP2505 on the bottom of main PCB. Also if those are ok could be EP2259 or EP2260 but I doubt that a small surge would get that far.
    If ground is ok, but do not get the data Q1001 on the logic PCB is probably bad. Or in many cases both Q1001 and a Ferrite bad (open).

If you have a good ground, and see the data, problem is most likely external to the radio. Make sure baud rate is correct and address is correct.

Good luck
    Jim

SV2EVS likes this.