Icom 6 prong power cord

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KW4TJ, Jul 15, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KW4TJ

KW4TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I own an Icom IC-746 and it seems to me the 6 prong power cord made by Icom is the worse power cord ever. One problem is only two prongs are used. The other four have no connectors. I have to purchase a new one about twice a year but they are always intermittent. I believe the high current deforms the plastic casing which makes the device intermittent. The metal to metal clips don't touch correctly and there is nothing to make them do so. Does anyone know a way to make the Icom power cords more usable?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

just get rid of it.;)

the 2 power leads screw onto the PC board inside the radio, add your own wiring with a quality disconnect (or just "hard wire" it) and some type of rubber grommet where it passes out the back panel.

Heck, I used a trailer disconnect that I bought at Napa Auto parts,...got the rubber grommet there too.

or, you can use power poles,... ect
    pic from G4DCV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    K0UO, W9WQA and KB0MNM like this.
  3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

KB0MNM likes this.
  5. W8NGA

W8NGA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that what you have is a mismatch on the pin size between the pins in the radio and your power cord. I found that Icom used pins with a diameter of .075 inches and the aftermarket cables on ebay used Molex .093 inch pins. Wiggling the power cord connector would cause the radio to lose power for a instant. I ended up changing the pins in the radio to .093 inch diameter and that took care of the problem as I couldn't find a original power cord.

Greg

KB0MNM likes this.
  6. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, odds are, that is not an original Icom power cord. Most likely a hamfest special, or an EBay treasure.

WA9SVD likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm. Didn't the Icom power cord, (as originally supplied) have TWO parallel conductors for positive, and two in parallel for negative? A single wire, even 12 AWG, is probably going to have too much resistance when transmitting, and may well overheat.

Can you find an original, appropriate power cable from Icom?

K0UO likes this.
  8. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom OPC-025D or Kenwood PG-2Z (Same thing).

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. The Round Pins and Sockets for the 6-pin DC Power connector are LIMITED, Maximum Current (Ampere) Handling.
    So, common to see the 20-25 Amp 13.8 DC power supply split between the 2 pins.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the two ARE identical; dual + and - leads to handle the current.