ad: expert-3

Icom 271A Japan version

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by VU2CDW, Oct 14, 2021.

ad: abrind-2
  1. VU2CDW

VU2CDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Sir,

I am about to buy an ICOM IC271 A (VHF Base) from a friend who is not using it since many years. The rig seems to be in immaculate condition physically, however when I connected external power - no display, no sound no deflection in RF meter!! all dead !!

Will it be possible to repair this rig, if I buy it?

I checked the Instruction manual but there seems to be no fuse, which could be a starting point. Should I refrain myself from picking this rig??

Can anyone having experience in this rig help me in finding the pathway for troubleshooting.

Kshitij Mathur
    VU2CDW

2. VU2CDW

Please note that thi rig does not have inbuilt power supply also it does not have voice synthesizer unit.

VU2CDW

3. WB5PKB

WB5PKB Ham Member QRZ Page

I’d bet that the battery inside has died. This radio depends on the battery to back up the RAM memory that the loads the memory channels AND the operating system parameters. Not sure if Icom will even reload the RAM but at one time it was about $50 USD to do that. There are a couple of third party replacements available. Malcolm Technical Services in the US still works on them and is reasonable and can also supply a replacement RAM board. I suspect that the replacement unit would load the US operating frequencies and may not apply to your area. Wilco Electronics was selling a RAM board and I had purchased one for my radio several years ago. If it is the RAM unit, you will not get any frequency displayed when you turn it on.

4. VU2CDW

Thank you very much Sir for response, perhaps this is the reason it did not come to life even after applying the external voltage.

Can I use another Battery (may be the same available in market off the shelf as a replacement of this battery?

I saw the below link on the web, please go through this article and advise.

http://www.icomcanada.com/techbulletin/tb1/ram_card.htm#pictures

5. WB5PKB

WB5PKB Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Just replacing the battery will not solve the problem. During a short period, due to cost of semiconductors, Icom chose to use RAM rather than ROM or EPROM to store the operating firmware for the radio. If you purchase one of the third party ROM boards, they are actually EPROM that come loaded with the operating firmware and you will be OK. Right now, you are missing the firmware on the original ROM board and As far as I know, Icom is the only one that can reload it. Malcolm Technical Services sells one and recommends it highly. Scott told me that he was told Icom no longer loaded the firmware due to age of radio.