IC7300 Replacement?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8DO, Oct 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, well after almost a lifetime of ham interests nothing remains riveting for long. And I have used RTTY for 60 years beginning with a model 12, then 14 and 15 and 21, to discrete component home-built autostart decode/encode boxes, then some commercial IBM stuff I have forgotten, then PK-232 and WIn98 running packet and rtty, then nothing for a decade.
    But I have in the past couple of months found resurgent interest in ham stuff. So, yeah I can spend a grand on a new radio given that I have not bought one in 12 years. Also, I probably will not use modes that are not direct contact (shrug) so I joke about FT 8-zillion with no intention to use. If I lose interest I can sell it.
    As far as obsolescence, note the first lines of my original post. Now, a rental system is intriguing concept - except my wife has informed me if I start another business and go back to working 14 hours a day I will be getting arsenic in my morning tea. Nice chatting with you.

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope. The FT-101ZD sitting here, for example, is not at all obsolete. It will do just about anything you want to do in today's radio.

Of course3, the IC7300 does some things better, there is no doubt about that. At any rate; it's gonna be a long, long time before the 7300 is obsolete. One of its strengths? A USB port and a built in soundcard. Oh, and it does SSB and CW just fine too. :)

3. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh man, telling me it does good CW is akin to offering the guys at an AA meeting on a hot august night, free beer afterwards.
    Now I can come up with all kinds of rationalizations for needing another radio.

K0UO and K5WY like this.
  4. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All true, although I have been watching the prices on 2x6x10's for the last few months as I need a bunch to build a new shop building. Just in the last few weeks they're down more than $2/ea, although still almost double the price at the end of last year.

Down to a reasonable price anytime soon? Not likely.

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Arsenic in your tea? That's pretty harsh! Suggest she try hemlock instead. :eek:

W4IOA and K0UO like this.
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like the majority of QSOs I make have a 7300 on the other end ! This is ALL on CW too. Very popular rig recently !
    Really difficult for me to imagine getting a new radio, they all seem to be geared toward computer management and operation and DIGI modes and that is NOT something I want to pay for and never use :(

7. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Uuuuh, they cut them all down over a hundred years ago. Only the name remains.