IC7300 Replacement?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8DO, Oct 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rack handles and various camo color options. They can call it Tactical. Maybe a Deer Whistle mode.

WJ4U, PU2OZT, W3ATV and 1 other person like this.
  2. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, gotcha.... does this also search QRZ forums and prevents transmissions from those who are HAMs or send CW?

W3ATV likes this.
  3. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Will the Pro2-Field be the 200 watt or the 400 watt version?

he he.. anyway, I have some radios that have been well cared for, lovingly stroked and covered with a soft blanket at nite, yadda yadda. But after a lost decade I am back. I was struggling to get a Rig BLaster Pro (which wants a serial cable but will grudgingly accept a USB with a convertor) talking to my FT1000MP MK-V and running FT 8-zillion, something or other (actually rtty)
    (I first tried to marry a PK-232 to a Win10 PC and that dog don't hunt at all) -serial cables and drivers, ugh)
    Then I decided to pry a brand spanking new-in-box, RigBlaster Pro (12 years on the shelf) out of its cocoon and marry it to a Win7 machine. I do have it booting up but so far getting it to accept audio from the sound card and then key the PTT and transmit has been an adventure

when I said in exasperation ($%^#@*&()!!!) which translates to, ' Seriously, I need a radio for dummies which plugs directly to the computer and I don't have to solder up hermaphrodite cables and build convertors
    So what's-her-name in the speaker box on the family room table said, "They don't make them as dumb as you but try a 7300"
    To which I said, "Don't get smart with me"
    To which she just snickered and said, "I'm not the one with the solder burned finger"
    Anyway, that is why I inquired about the 7300

W4IOA, PU2OZT, W3ATV and 1 other person like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You could buy a new one last your for $875 just before CV19 hit

N1VAU likes this.
  5. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The current pricing has been that way for quite away with the rebate.

I am betting that, as with last year's Black Friday pricing at HRO, DXE, etc, it may get down that far again.

(I am one of the 'millions' - millions, I say - of 7300 owners. Works great for me. Of course, I am easily amazed.)

K0UO likes this.
  6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe, just maybe, the price of electronic components that rose after production lines shut down due to COVID and drove up costs due to availability has come back down after production has resumed and or increased. Once the component market demands are once again being met, prices drop.

K0UO likes this.
  7. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where?

@ $995 after rebate I don't see a $300 price drop anywhere.

They were $875 not too long ago

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    KB2SMS, K2XT and K0UO like this.
  8. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I dunno, I just wish lumber prices would drop, if not back to January levels, at least some. :(

WB0ZRD, WJ4U, N1VAU and 2 others like this.
  9. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

uuuh, believing that lumber prices will go down (within 3 to 5 years) is believing in Santa - not that there is anything wrong with that, kiddies
    Lumber companies hit the jackpot with back to back hurricanes just as lumber prices were recovering from weyerhaeuser's last storm driven crack-binge.

On the price drop - Well I have not been looking for a new radio for a decade, so the !200 to 1500 dollar prices on fleabay this week make it look look like a price drop when I look at the 1000 dollar Giga or DX ads. I stand duly corrected by my peers on that topic.
    Now a year ago I was off the air - and the year before that yadda-yadda, - and being an old contestor I would have laughed at the idea of an entry level radio. But, times and things have changed.
    The IC-7300 can do the new digi things I want to try at least once, do it well (according to Youtube), do it without my having to marry Win98 technology to Win10 reality where serial to USB conflicts and no-drivers abound , making me snatch myself bald (and I didn't have far to go to begin with) and do it for cheap. Not a bad combination.

If I get the insane urge to jump back into the contest wars - hand to hand down in the trenches in the mud and the blood and the beer and squabble with some 40dB over Goliaths for a Q with some reed thin wobbly signal from Gotchastan Province where the bullock treads in a circle pulling the wood pole that turns the generator, I have the still capable radios from the end of the superhet era for that.

10. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? petty cash, for a ten-hour discovery, before being bored? assuming, at least, that it takes a couple hours to hook it all, to make the experience a bit more rewarding.
    And then? joining the Brave New FT-8 World, not many alternatives, as the hyped mode drained all other tfc.
    And to me, albeit it does not necessarily interests me understanding it, only on a provocative side note, the IC-7300 must be obsolete very soon, at the pace technology goes.
    Why not just a renting market, cheap, for trying the new digital thing on the Icom, one week or two?