IC7000 v TS2000 v FT897

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KA8KBU, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VE2ELP

VE2ELP Ham Member QRZ Page

Moi de mon coté je cherche a échanger mon kenwood ts-2000 sans 1.2Ghz contre un icom ic-7000, un icom ic-706MKIIG ou un icom ic-2820H avec le d-star et gps (avec du retour pour le 2820)

ve2elp@videotron.ca

I of my quoted(esteemed) I look has to exchange my kenwood ts-2000 without 1.2Ghz for an icom ic-7000, an icom ic-706MKIIG or an icom ic-2820H with d-star and gps (with return for 2820)

Ve2elp@videotron.ca

2. KA4AAA

KA4AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

About two and a half years ago, I was in the market (in other words, had the funds) for a new rig. My only other HF rigs (and only rigs I've ever laid hands on) were an Icom IC-707 and an IC-728. I had narrowed my choices down to the IC-7000 or the TS-2000. I had spent a couple of months reading reviews, the manuals, service manuals, mods, message boards -- the works. I went in very well informed.

I liked both for what my needs are. If I went with the IC-7000 (along with the need of new power supply as well) -- I'd have a bit leftover for sinking into antennas. Or the Kenwood -- and worry about antenna makings somewhere down the line.

Went to the bank, got ample cash in hand and drive down to my local HRO for an actual hands-on with both rigs. I WAS walking out of there with a new HF setup. Of ALL the things -- the single deciding factor (that had never even crossed my mind to consider) was the finger-dimple-thing on the VFO knob. I grow my index fingernails a little long since I deal a LOT with older hard drives and motherboards. Moving jumpers around as frequently as I do, it just makes sense (and is a lot faster) to just use a fingernail.

The VFO knob on the Kenwood had my fingernail scraping that metal and sending voracious chills down my spine. The feel of that was simply horrid to me.

Icom has a much better 'dimple'... at least in my opinion.

I absolutely love my IC-7000. Despite the dimple thing, I believe I made the right choice for what I do. I spend about 75% of my time scanning/RX'ing -- and the receiver in the IC-7000 along with the ungodly amount of filtering available is just perfect for me. I operated a special event station last October. I had to go back home and get some gloves just to be able to operate the TS-2000's there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.