IC7000 v TS2000 v FT897

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KA8KBU, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W6ACC

W6ACC Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-7000 is one dandy little radio, loaded with features, performance and a beautiful color display that will keep you entertained for hours. Lot's of radio for the buck and it's cheaper then a Humvee. I don't know why I waited so long to buy one.

2. WB4TJH

WB4TJH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd probably go with the Ic7000. The FT897 and TS2000 are old technology now. The FT897 needs expensive accessory filters, and by the time you buy them, you might as well have bought the IC7000 in the first place. The Kenwood would be a better overall rig for just home use, mainly because it's just larger and easier to use, but the 7000 would be more versatile, for mobile or portable use.

3. VE4CY

VE4CY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a pretty old thread.. I'm sure the original poster has made his selection by now... But in case others have come here is reading the thread with the same choices in mind, It's probably worth takeing a shot at a reply :)

I have the TS-2000 and the IC-7000 .. I love them both.

But I doubt if I'd buy the IC-7000 as a main station rig. It's just too small. Because of that, I leave it in the car full time and use it as a mobile only rig. The TS-2000 is my base radio along with an old boat anchor Yaesu FT-890 as a back up. To give you an idea of size, here's a shot of the IC-7000 perched on the TS-2000.

4. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, the '7000 looks so... small. :)

Having owned a (huge and heavy, but self-contained) ICOM IC-765 until 2005, my switch to an IC-7000 was quite a change in the appearance of my home station. Functionality did not change much, except the IC-7000 has more versatile filtering. I use mine as a primary HF radio and love it - just bought a Heil ProSet last weekend to use with it. When I bought the radio, I considered a FT-950 and others, but this little radio does everything I need to do. If I were to operate HF mobile, I would buy another one for that purpose, but the one I now have and use will continue to be my "house" radio.

5. KE7VXP

KE7VXP Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, I own both an FT-897 and a IC7000. You can't go wrong with either one. Oddly, I think the 7000 is actually easier to use, others may disagree. As for performance, the 7000's DSP is much better, and it directly interfaces with LDG autotuners, but both are very good radios. I'm not sure I believe in the backpacking capability of the 897, with batteries the thing weighs a ton, and you only get 20 watts out. You could backpack with the IC7000, but you have to carry a seperate battery which limits power or TX time. Memory scanning on the FT-897 is excellent and easy to set up. Yaesu's programming software is good. ICOM's is poor and you end up using 3rd party software.

I was told by an HRO salesman that the 7000 tends to lose finals if operated at full power on 70cm. I'm told, right or wrong, that Yaesu belongs to Motorola which is shorting the brand on quality and service. Icom is still independent and sensitive to quality and service issues. Who knows? You pay substantially less for the 897.

Once you are one the air, you won't care whether its an FT-897 or IC 7000. Have fun and see you out there.

KE7VXP

6. KC1MR

KC1MR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IC - 7000 vs TS -2000

Having owned both the IC - 7000 & TS - 2000; I found the ICOM supperior .

The selectivity (the same as the fantastic PRO III ) ; and the receive audio ( with an external speaker ) are head and sholders above the TS-2000

Want all mode with great selectivity ( 3kc roofing filter ) and 144,440 +1200 ;
    then ICOMS IC-9100 will fill the bill very well.

Even QST rates the TS-570 better than the TS - 2000 in receiver performance ( I even called then to confirm this ! ) .

I kept the TS - 2000 fer two months before selling ; the QRM and the constant bleed over was just too much !

I have never used the FT897 so I cannot comment .
    :)

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  7. W5JET

W5JET Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have any real world experience with the three radios but did do some comparisons @ AES in LAS(2007). The icom, yaesu and Kenwood 480 all had great receivers. The TS2000, not so much.. I wonder if it were just that particular radio or the design?

If Kenwood had just attached the face to the chassy they would have "made me" a sale on the TS480. The internet connectivity on that radio looks interesting.

;)

8. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You would be getting 6 times the radio with the TS2000. A little bigger- but you can work satellites also.

Good Luck.

Earl
    AB9TX

9. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I think you would get argument over that statement. I have had the 7000 and the 2000 and feel the Icom about 6 times better than the Kenwood for a number of reasons. I now enjoy my FT767 more than either of those newer rigs.

It all boils down to what you like.

Lee
    NI7I

10. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I went from an Icom 720A to an Icom 718 then to the Icom 7000. I really had no problems with the learning curve of the 7000.

Now I have a FT-950 and again it is not that difficult to learn the menus. Put the manual in front of you and do some reading.

Better yet buy a CAT Cable and run it off HRD. That really simplifies things ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.